Property with a big gum tree in front of it

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Samj, 5th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I believe that gum trees are called 'widow makers' for a reason. And I also know that some local councils won't allow for them to be removed (depending on local koala populations etc). Make sure you do your DD first if you decide you want to follow through on this one.

2. Giuseppe

Giuseppe Active Member

Around the $4K mark. That includes hire for the stump grinding machine and GST. Cheaper for cash...3,800. I might be able to get $600-700 for the wood.

3. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

We had 2 come down and one lost a large limb in the last big storm in Newcastle. One fell on our neighbours unit next door and caused considerable damage.
    The neighbours had been trying to get rid of it for years but our hands where tied with the council claiming it was a healthy tree. Yep healthy till it falls on your house.

4. GCJune

GCJune Member

Interesting discussions! We recently ran into similar situation. The gum tree in question is a huge river red gum tree in the backyard that is 10 meters from the house and is considered a significant tree. We understand the current owner has tried to cut down the tree but the council did not approve as the tree looks healthy. I want to follow up the original question further with this question: is this a show stopper? Or is it everything can be evaluated by a price? Say if you factor in a discount ( if so, how much discount would you factor in in your offer for you to consider buying it and why ?)

Would be interested in hearing any thoughts from the forum.

Thanks!

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

There are some lovely big gum trees in the surburb in which I live.

One is at the edge of a new childcare center and they see it as a really positive thing.

However, the gumtrees opposite my IP while also lovely, drop a lot of bark and some lands in the gutters and the lawn. But it’s worth it to have the trees adding to the streetscape.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Check with your insurance company about what it might cost you in the future.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I’ve never been askedif there are any trees on the property by any of the many different insurance companies I’ve had home insurance with.

Is that a QLD thing?

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

They don't necessarily ask the customer, but the customer might want to know about legal liability. My childhood family home had a massive gumtree right outside the back patio. It has since been given classification, and was a sticking point when Mum sold a few years ago.

Whenever Mum wanted it cut back in the 40 years they lived there, Insurance Company advised us to leave it alone - insurance would cover any issues. However these days insurance companies like to exclude their liability if there is any obvious perceived risk, or at least they want you to mention it.

Potential risks both to property and if someone is injured or killed.

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

My insurance PDS states that impacts from trees and branches are covered.

The public liability insurance section has a clause about not being covered for any acts or omissions involving reckless disregard for the consequences of those acts or omissions.

I imagine calling the insurance company, unprompted, and saying ‘there is a big tree on my property that I’m worried about’ might make them more more likely to think you should have done something to investigate the risk should anything happen in future - even if there was no actual reason to be concerned at the time...

If I had any reason to suspect my large tree was dangerous I’d get an arbourist to look at it and follow their advice, but wouldn’t flag anything unnecessarily with the insurance company.

Last edited: 29th Jun, 2019
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I’m asked every time whether there are trees over a certain height within a certain distance of the dwelling. Maybe it is a Queensland thing.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Maybe because there are more cyclones there?

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd guess that's the case, but don't really know. I'm sure I'm asked this question each time I've insured or changed anything in the policy. I recall this question because I quickly have to conjure up a mental picture of the house, and where the trees are.

I've always wondered (but never thought to ask) whether a tree in the neighbour's yard that may be within the quoted distance would be covered if it fell on our roof?

I'd guess it would be covered as we have no control over a tree in the next yard.

13. GCJune

GCJune Member

Sounds to me that as long as we factor in the insurance cost into the price, it is still a buy? Assume we have to pay extra premium of 1k per annum for insurance because of the tree, and we plan to hold the property for 20 years, so having a tree means 20k discount to put a number to the question? Of course buying or not also depends if you want to deal with the extra maintenance due to the constant shedding of tree barks leaves etc, and maybe that can also be quantified into a number...

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.