Property with a big gum tree in front of it

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Samj, 5th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

We are looking for a property to buy and we found a fairly good one with a very old big gum tree in front of it. It's a brick house and gum tree is sitting just 6-8m away from it. Are there any bad implication when there are such trees in front of the house (other than leaves)?

Thank you!

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Gums are notorious for dropping large branches and even falling over. I would see if it can be removed.

Rugrat and KayTea like this.
  3. markson

markson Well-Known Member

Might be worried about the roots getting into the sewer and storm water pipes if they run through the front yard

4. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

You need to know the health of the gum tree. I personally like it but it's still kinda close to the house.

5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

They don't call old gum trees near houses "widow makers" for no reason. They drop branches on houses and cars and are totally inappropriate trees for suburbia but fine in the bush, where they belong IMO.

R377 likes this.
  6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Quite true. My friend's parents house was damaged because one of the gum trees in the front yard went Timber during a stormy night. A massive tree.

7. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Almost every single time a tree comes down in a storm taking out cars, houses or electricity wires, it is a gum tree, guaranteed.

wylie likes this.
  8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

There are a lot of gums, and lots of varieties, if it is a box, I doubt it will be a bother, if it is a huge angophrah towering over the house , it may be a worry.

Near where I am now, there is a lot of houses that have huge tall gums next to them, been waiting for one or some to fall, during last bad storm, the non native out the front collapsed and fell where we normally have a car parked, all the huge gums....nothing.

So yeah, may be luck, may also depend on if they are monitored and dead wood removed etc

9. Giuseppe

Giuseppe Active Member

We are now in the process of getting rid of a massive lemon scented gum in our front yard bordering the sidewalk. For years, the local council said it was a "significant" tree and didn't give us a permit to get rid of it...till we got the council guy to come down and see it in person. It took 3 minutes for him to say it's dangerous. Our brick paving leading to the front door undulates, the sidewalk is cracked and had been replace three times in the last 5 years. Finally, we got a permit and it will be going in the next two weeks.
    Nice tree, wrong desert. Get rid of it!

10. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

Got a sixty footer two metres from my gutter for 25 years. Never had a problem. Would rather cut my leg off than cut a gum down. Adds substantial value to you home. You could move to the Simpson desert. If everyone cut down gums because they were 8 metres from the house then it would look like the Western Suburbs of Sydney. Gums that are in good order are unlikely to fall over.

Joynz, Gingin and Scott No Mates like this.
  11. dabbler

Don't totally agree with that, if it will fall in the direction of a house, or is largely above the house, you may change your mind if you and family in there when it does come down, I moved from one like that and neighbor gave a lot of grief about wanting to trim from over my roof (note, he had none over his)

If it is just in the street and poses little problem, then yeah, but there are better trees for the street too.

12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I think they are great for kids parties, making a swing or just running around singing.

"Give me a home amongst the gum trees
    With lots of plum trees
    A sheep or two and a kangaroo....."

13. Chillingout

Chillingout Member

Come on Datto,

It goes like this,
    home along the mole trees, pass the bong please, a pipe or two or a stick will do....

balwoges likes this.
  14. dabbler

Hey, don't lead the young fella astray !

I wonder how you guys choose an IP......giggle about it all night while munching down a pizza and kebab ? lol....... if you can remember in the morning it must make sense to go for it :)

15. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

Gum trees are like kelpies and sheep dogs. Great for the country and bush, not so good close to cbd with small back yards....

KayTea and Propertunity like this.
  16. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

We had to remove the one in our front yard about the same distance from house, cost? $3,300. Branches were falling off onto our driveway and branches were over the street.

Had a fight with council and had to get a report from arborist stating it was unsafe.

17. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

We get clients to check with council and an arborist (mainly for the condition and health of the tree) if they have concerns with trees. It's not only gums that can be dangerous/messy but a range of others too, amongst them the awfully lethal bunya pine. Be aware that these massive trees can drop cones the size of watermelons if the tree is particularly large and cause extensive damage.

We once came across a property (for a potential buyer client) and in doing our DD found out that the neighbour had taken the property owner to the LAE court and successfully got a tree order issued on his bunya 2 years previously. It meant he had to have it trimmed and de-coned yearly (with a cherrypicker due to the size, so you can imagine the annual bill!) as he refused to have it cut down (council also played their part by initially refusing the application). The neighbours took action after one too many cones smashed through their outdoor gazebo roof, injuring a family member and scaring the bejesus out of them - you can imagine :eek: Needless to say, our client decided to pass on this property when all this came to light.....

18. thydzik

thydzik Well-Known Member

probably going to be higher insurance costs as well.

19. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

How much is it going to cost you?

20. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

Are such damages covered by building insurances? when I was getting the insurance for my property I was never asked about trees near by...

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia