Property Values

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 3rd Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

OK.
    So OP mentioned 10% is that possible??

Illusivedreams likes this.
  2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

People may not know but planes on auto-pilot are more “off-course” than “on-course” during their flight but they still arrive at their destination.

A pilot sets a course (the flight path/plan) and, when on auto-pilot, the plane is regularly monitoring its progress by checking its current position against the plan/flight path and takes corrective action, if required.

I believe we should do that same thing on our investment journey and, with our lives as well. Develop a plan, monitor your progress against this plan and take corrective action when required.

Sadly, not enough people do this and we have too many people ending up in a sad financial situation on retirement and many of these lead a fairly meaningless life. What a waste.

I spent most of my career in the project management space and I was heavily influenced by the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBoK). This document was originally written in 1996 (22+ years ago) and is a living global document, with updates on a regular basis. It is now into its 6th edition which was released a little over a year ago.

It is the “bible” on project management and can be applied to any project including developments, constructions, renovations, IT projects, business projects, ... I just expanded its use to my investment journey and to my life.

Totally agree.

If one writes a post that has a different point of view to the OP, that to me is not side-tracking the thread but it adds value to the thread.

We have a number of properties owned in a number of trusts. These trusts have an 80 year life.

To me, it is nonsensical to say that property values only matter when one buys and sells (in our case, up to 80 years later).

I presented a different point of view and attempted to provide in detail my reasons.

My focus is not the OP. It is all the newbies and less experienced investors who read this thread and think it is the only point of view. That to me is dangerous and I felt a huge responsibility (as did others) to present a different point of view.

Totally agree.

I will have to say “I like pizza” as I have sidetracked this thread with my above discussion on auto-pilot, the PMBoK, ... but I trust I have added value.

icic, Allelockon, VB09 and 3 others like this.
  3. kierank

... and the whole dividend and, in most cases, the franking credit ends up in one’s bank account.

... and there aren’t any expenses such as PM fees, maintenance, rates, land tax, ... to reduce one’s bank account.

4. kierank

We own direct shares in three banks. They are (in alphabetical order), with first purchase date and dividend return:

ANZ, May 2008 (10+ years), 9.30%
    CBA, Feb 2010 (9 years), 8.29%
    MQG, Feb 2010 (9 years), 9.64%

I believe all three had FF dividends over period of ownership.

So, the answer to the question is a resounding YES.

I only wished we had bought more MQG shares in 2010 for $50. Today, they are priced around $122. That is, compounding growth of 23% pa.

In Dec 2013, they were priced at $18!!! Why didnt I buy more?

The magic of highsight. We all would make better decisions if we had hindsight.

(all the above data was pulled from ShareSight)

“I eat pizza” as I contributed to the sidetracking of this thread.

Last edited: 7th Feb, 2019
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

My g/friend has completed apartments in Perth recently, some of the investors/buyers have actually failed to go ahead with contracts as bank values did not come in.

So they have lost their deposit, which was anywhere from $40,000-80,000. She has now relisted these, tough gig.

I wonder how many have been caught out like this. It happen

Travelbug likes this.
  6. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Another example of OTP purchases not stacking up.

kierank likes this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

She keeps the deposit? If so, then she can sell slightly lower and still be up on the deal?

A developer friend had this issue a few years ago, one buyer pulled out. Another case the buyer went to a different bank and it valued up. Nothing like $40K though. Still caused him some angst.

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, I doubt she would be going down the legal route either, no point.

There was a forum member from Perth that posted here some years ago, he had 3 OTP projects in Perth, with one of the bigger builders, I think no mercy here they took him to the cleaners.

9. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

the new reality full impact of which is yet to be realised.
    OTC defaults will play in its fully glory this year and the next across Australia.

Imagine the damage opal tower episode will do to high rise purchases and pending settlements.

TAJ likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Not sure? Apartments in Perth have been hammered big time. I would post the link but I cant, they are very special, with city views, but not even this is helping.

These are 19 apartments in boutique block, inner city prime location. She has to date sold 9

Sales price impact significantly on bank values.

Another trick is buyers pay xx to keep values higher but she gives the cash back.
    Don't ask me more about this because I don't know exactly how it works.

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sounds illegal.

kierank likes this.
  12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

With your $, you would have to go to a logarithmic scale? :D

The Y-man

icic and kierank like this.
  13. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

rebate rather then discount :)

Mirvac giving Sydney apartment buyers rebates up to $18,888 in Chinese New Year deal

The Y-man and MTR like this.
  14. kierank

If only ...

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Don't know, no idea?? Some developers offer furniture etc as a sweetner

I would not like this problem in this market at the moment.

Last edited: 7th Feb, 2019
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, Opal Tower disaster, poor buyers, feel for them.

Those values will be slashed, what bank will touch these??

17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Must be some tax implications if there is a cash rebate. What was the purchase price for CGT etc.

Even more hidden if its unrelated goodies like velocity points, car, etc etc.

The Y-man

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No idea, I did not get into the finer points.

I think keeping sales prices at a certain point was so buyers did not have issues sourcing finance. Whether this is illegal or not I have no idea and no idea of tax implications either. Not something I have ever done or want to do, I will stick to vanilla projects I think.

Perhaps some developers on PC may know the answer to this??

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Airbnb???? Not sure whether this is possible, with new laws?? not looked closely at this perhaps someone here knows the answer??

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

If you have the cash flow who cares, just hold, you can weather the storm regardless.

Perthguy and TheSackedWiggle like this.