Property Valuation for Stamp Duty

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by ropoa, 11th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ropoa

ropoa New Member

Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a property from a related party and will be applying for the FHBAS (Property value is looking to be under 650k - this is the threshold for NSW)

I'd like to purchase this as market price (otherwise i'd be ineligible for the FHBAS concessions). What would be the best way to get the market price for this property? An independent valuer?

Could I rely on the bank valuation for this purpose?
    Does anyone have a recommendation for an independent property valuer in the Sydney region?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have transacted property between family and used appraisals from a real estate agent with suitable comparable properties for stamp duty purposes. I assume this would still be acceptable, but perhaps call the stamp duty people and ask.

Or pay for a valuer. The last transaction we did was to divide assets within a trust between my brother and I. We chose to pay for a valuation to avoid any possibility of an agent leaning one way or another, for two very different properties.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If the property is in NSW there are specific requirements for the valuation - see DUT 012

4. ropoa

ropoa New Member

Awesome - thanks Terryw.

Can anyone provide a recommendation for an independent valuer?

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You might be able to use the lender valuation, but you would need to agree on a price first. You could try any of the valuation companies though.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia