Property val without loan process... yet

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by dave80, 25th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dave80

dave80 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Is there a way to have a valuation completed (either desktop or physical) prior to actually refinancing with a lender? I'm eager to ascertain its position in the market before kicking off with a lender and having to sign dozens of app forms etc.

I notice a few comparable sales to mine and am curious whether now is the time to pull the trigger on leveraging its equity with a sub loan. i tried the original valuer at Herron Todd White and they were very reluctant to provide a formal valuation if they had not received instructions directly from a lender.

Curious on your thoughts, cheers

2. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

For refinances - yes, but your lender will need to allow upfront valuations. Most larger banks allow this. In terms of the type of valuation - that will also depend on the loan parameters and lender of choice. You could potentially order a few desktop valuations from lenders that will allow them as a starting point for comparison.

Desktop vals:
    - CBA at 80% for <$1mill, St G/Westpac (usually <80%, but sometimes allowed higher)
    - ANZ usually, NAB usually (both system dependent)
    Etc etc.

Plenty of lenders offer free upfront full valuations too. Then there's the majority of smaller lenders that charge for a val & require the paperwork first.

dave80 likes this.
  3. dave80

dave80 Well-Known Member

currently with nab - do you suggest i just contact my banker and enquire? equally i want to keep them on their toes and don't want them to assume just because i'm getting a val done, they'll be getting the business.

4. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Yep - they should be able to run desktop vals for you & advise you of your options.

dave80 likes this.
  5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

You can also chat to your broker to get a desktop done just to get a feel for what's likely - if you think you're around the 80% or under mark, your broker can order some desktop vals and you're likely good to go unless the property is a bit quirky/regional/too new etc.

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I just did 4 for a client for 1 property. They varied by about 10% in value too.

7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

just another reason ASIC is concerned about us

efficiency

ta

rolf

Jamie Moore and Terry_w like this.
  8. dave80

dave80 Well-Known Member

thanks all - approached the bank, taking long than i anticipated but they claim i'll have some numbers by close of business Monday...