Property transfer to own kid

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Declan1212, 18th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Declan1212

Declan1212 Well-Known Member

Hi

What is the best way (save tax) to give one of my investment properties to my kid (full time working)

Im in NSW and holding Australian PR visa but has not live in Au for the past 200 days.

Will this transaction be treated as a normal property sales which my kid has to pay the stamp duty? There will be no capital gain to me for this property.

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

All of the transfers from parents to kids that I've seen involved full stamp duty at market value.

They'll probably have to pay CGT as well.

3. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

The most tax effective way is to die - but perhaps not the best way to transfer

Player, Moira Rose and Scott No Mates like this.
  5. Terry_w

why not? Are you a tax resident or not, if no the main residence exemption won't apply.

6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

or through family law settlement but there can be no marriage in this context.

Terry_w likes this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

This could trigger non-resident transfer duty and issues with land tax, CGT withholding, no CGT discount and much more. Market value must be used for all this. Then there are the FIRB rules which may prohibit a non-citizen owning Australian property unless they apply for approval.

I dont necessarily agree that this sale would be a exempt gain as the main residence exemption may not have been met and may have been lost retrospectively on departure from Australia. The absence rule has some limits not to mention issues with the family and adopting ONE worldwide main residence. Insufficent information really and any proposal needs legal and tax advice.

8. Paul@PAS

A child can acquire a parents former property interests under such orders.

9. tppha7

tppha7 Active Member

They may plan to transfer the property to the child at a cost - price ( less than market price probably) and record no profit from the transfer.
    Even if that's the case, I think the ATO and State revenue office might use the current market price to determine the CGT and stamp duty if the transfer price is significantly lower than the market price.

10. Terry_w

Yes cgt and duty at market rates but perhaps the value and cost base are the same so no tax to pay

11. larrylarry

12. Paul@PAS

Saw one recently where the child was given title as the Father didnt want the Mother to benefit and potentially lose asset wealth on death remarriage etc and this protected the child who had specific long term housing needs. The house had been specially constructed with that in mind. They had considered a special form of trust but legal advice picked holes in it. It also gave the child the benefits of asset protection. The ex wife was given other property also.

13. larrylarry

A lot of hoops to jump through and costs to get this order I would think. Good to know.