Property to sell in Newcastle - Which agent is better...? Need advise

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Chattyboy, 3rd Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chattyboy

Chattyboy Well-Known Member

For those who have invested in Newcastle, can you shed some light of which agent(s) is better?

Providing the fees of each agent is roughly the same....

Which one(s) would you recommend or NOT recommend?

or... Anyone had bad experience with the selling agent in the past?

(As you know, some agents promise you the whole world, but delivery nothing at the end...)

Size: 800 sqm approx. (can't do battle axe subdivision, as the existing house has taken up the space). However, the house can be knocked down, and build a duplex, or three/four villas.
    Target market: First home buyer, Family, or developer

I have got some agents in mind, but don't know which one to go ahead with...

Belle, Newcastle
    Castle property, Newcastle
    Century 21, Newcastle
    Chapman, Newcastle
    Daltons Partners, The Junction
    Dowling, Hamilton
    Dowling, Wallsend
    Elders, Lambton
    Harper, Wickham
    Love Realty, Boolaroo
    PRD, Newcastle
    Ray White, Newcastle
    Reece Realty Jesmond
    Robinson Property, The Junction
    Street, Newcastle
    Walkom, Newcastle

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

3. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

Property Twins likes this.
  4. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

How about don't use an agent and make far more money from the property. Trust me, only fools use agents. Agents will never get you the best price possible for a property.

5. Chattyboy

I was thinking about that as well, but I just have too much work and other commitment in my hands which has restricted me to going this through myself

6. Chattyboy

Thanks "tomlemke"

I have come down to three (perhaps) four to choose from the list that I have mentioned, and will be making my decision in the next couple of days

7. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

I have an investment in that suburb so follow it closely. Reece seem to achieve some impressive sale prices, also Stephen Dorman from Ray White. Would also back Tom.

Stay away from Love

Chattyboy likes this.
  8. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Dot com and Dave Lane- prob good one if you are selling but I would be reluctant to buy through him

Chattyboy likes this.
  9. Phil_22

Phil_22 Well-Known Member

Lachie Sewell at PRD nationwide comes
    highly recommend.

Chattyboy likes this.
  10. pjames

pjames Well-Known Member

Please update us as I have some interest in selling some properties in Newcastle and will be looking for a good agent. someone that is seasoned, experienced, no bs, hard and can make a sale, not some wimpy new salesmen on their first few weeks.

11. pjames

pjames Well-Known Member

Chattyboy likes this.
  12. pjames

pjames Well-Known Member

I spoke to Luke Searles from Creer and had a pleasant conversation with him about my property and the market in Newcastle, he was very insightful and helpful without any pressure. Now I have a difficult decision to make out of using him or Debbie as he sounds really good. If someone can sell me on their service then they can sell my property ;) If anyone is looking for an agent give him a call first: Houses for Sale & Rental Properties in Newcastle | Creer Property

13. Chattyboy

Thanks drg86

I have also considered Reece, but came down to three other agents which I felt more comfortable with... need to make a decision soon though....

On the other hand, I agree with you about staying away from Love. I have heard stories about them as well, so it is good to get some confirmation. It sounds like they promise you the whole world but delivers crap.

14. Chattyboy

Hey Samiam,

I haven't really considered Dot com, because I have realised that they usually selling places under the market value. Maybe it was just some individual cases...

15. Chattyboy

Hey pjames

Sure thing, will place my feedback of the selling agent once I have the place sold.... ;)

Hopefully, by end of May

16. Micko

Micko Well-Known Member

As far as agents go in Newcastle when selling, if it was me id either go with @tomlemke whos on here regularly or Rob Obrien both from Century 21 Novocastrian. Id at least give these guys a call and have chat to them as they have some much street knowledge that will be able to help you. Tom seems to know every street and just lives and breaths it and the agency hes at has run some great campaigns on property in recent times... see the campaign they did on that 2 Annie Street Wickham and the big result they achieved there compared to what it was bought for a few years before that. Rob Obrien from the same agency just has the gift of the gab....have dealt with him before and he can literally sell anything to anybody and hes just great to have on your side when you are the seller! If your out Lake Macquarie way, id still go with these two guys as first choice. But another option is Michael Velkovski LJ at Valentine....hes a good guy and has been getting some good sale results out that Lake macquarie way as well.

17. Laurieload

Laurieload Member

Just out of interest, what agents fees were you quoted? I was just quoted 2.5% for an auction, which I thought was a bit high.

18. Chattyboy

Just an update....

I had multiple offers of the sale... and meeting around the figure I was hoping for.... but...
    When I was planning to sign the contract within a day or two, my partner was requesting me to withdraw from sale. Since I did not want to have any further argument etc, we have rented out the property instead...

For the down side,
    1) I have wasted my time and effort of renovating the place, and letting it sit for vacant for a few months.. (but I guess the renovation time & effort pays off which I can charge a bit more on the rent, yeh?)
    2) Wasted money on advertising fees, solicitor fees etc

The good side (or looking at a positive side),
    1) Don't need to pay for CGT etc (however, still needed to pay the agent some marketing fees and withdrawal fees, plus solicitor's fee of drafting the contract, as mentioned above)
    2) Having constant rental coming in, at 5.4% gross yield, however just slightly negative gearing after all costs (e.g. council rates, water rates, agent admin fees, and other misc costs)
    3) Hopefully, the property value gets even better in the long run (and then to release equity out to purchase more)

19. Chattyboy

In the Sydney market, I have been quoted around 1.5% - 2.5% inclusive of GST (I guess it really depends on your area)
    You can also negotiate with the agent with offering them extra commission if they reach certain amount thereafter.

In the Newcastle market, I have been quoted around 1.8% - 3.95% plus GST.
    The service of agents are all over the place, so you have to do your due diligence before picking the right one (or one of the good ones with a competitive rate). This was for sale rates (not auction rates), however, I do not think it would varies a lot, because similar process happens in the Sydney market anyway. i.e. the difference is that you pay for an auctioneer fees on top if you do decide to put the property up for auction.

One place has offered me 3.95% plus GST is one of the worst agents... The next day, after I have turned them down the offer, this young agent was telling me that his manager has approved him to match the rates with other agents in the area around the 2% mark. I was thinking what a bloody crooked place that you guys are operating...!?

Laurieload likes this.
  20. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

3.95% is a ridiculous fee! What agency was that pm if you don't want to share.