Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Property Spruikers list in Australia

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Tekoz, 31st Jul, 2015.

1. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

People,

I wonder if anyone here know or has been stung by property Spruiker during your ivnesting journey here ?

It would be great to list the name here so that it can help people to avoid the wrong path investing in Property here.

For example just today I've read the news from NSW Fair Trading regarding the property spruiker:
    http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/f...0150730_property_spruikers_put_on_notice.page

Pipeclay and Pamela Palmqvist like this.
  2. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

Colin Rice likes this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Lou, Francesco and Tekoz like this.
  4. Jacque

Jacque Buyers Agent and Bookworm, Sydney Business Member

Hmm interesting list there Sim- thanks for that. I notice it's a little outdated with some links but a good start.

5. Spiderman

Spiderman Well-Known Member

A good concept, but, as others said it's way out of date, incomplete and of doubtful objectivity. A few examples.

NZ's Phil Jones is listed without comment but can fairly be regarded as disgraced after his Richmastery collapsed and fleeing to the US. No doubt a red. Unremarked Hans Jakobi is possibly at least an amber, if only for his ads. Nigel Kibel (not mentioned) is also amber, at least for high risk strategies eg overseas purchases. Paul Giezkamp gets no comments but should be red as his Property Secrets company has gone into liquidation. Steve Navra is more known for his non-property investments which haven't always gone to plan and been shown to be high-risk. The amber rating for Metropole/Michael Yardney may be fine for men but could possibly be redder for women. Unlisted is relative newcomer Nathan Birch / Binvested.

There's vigorous discussion on Somersoft and elsewhere so make up your own mind. In some cases their books or strategies might be OK but buying properties recommended by them may not be.

There's some conflicts of interest so it's not independent. Eg Andrea Davies ranks Andrew Winter favourably. Both are associated with 'Selling Homes Australia'. They might be fine, but seek other advice.

Describing some as 'watchdogs', is disingenuous when they're also in the industry (and presumably make money from it) so can't be truly impartial. Eg Jenman & Lomas. Both are allied with (or at least sympathetic) to Ryder, who gets a green.

Wakelin, are probably in the 'good guys' camp if you're on a very high income and are set on buying inner suburban. But their advice (which is highly publicised to people with little knowledge) can be inappropriate for others, without them apparently realising this (again see Somersoft). So it's amber for them also.

Last edited: 31st Jul, 2015
    CU@THETOP, S.T and Tekoz like this.
  6. CosmicTrevor

CosmicTrevor Well-Known Member

This is a genuine question - what is the definition of a spruiker?

7. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

What happened?

I went to a seminar JDL put on a few years ago and it completely opened my eyes to how the whole property investing thing worked and ignited a fire in me! I didn't sign on board as a client, naturally, but I did find Somersoft while investigating them...so it was a really valuable event to say the least.

Tekoz likes this.
  8. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I've read people make similar comments re: JDL, John L. Fitzgerald, TIC etc on SS

9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Yup, the site is still a work in progress - I'm sure Andrea would appreciate the feedback.

Of course something like a rating system is naturally subjective, but if you read Andrea's approach to things she is trying to be as objective as possible by mostly reporting on what other people are saying about these people rather than her own opinions.

Anyway - I think it is an interesting exercise and I have no doubt that Andrea would appreciate any suggestions for her lists!

10. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Can I please add Robert Kiyosaki to the list as well. I know that many of us at one stage of our journey been inspired by his work, but really at the end of the day I feel he is a con artist who never practiced what he breached. There are heaps of information on the internet about him.

11. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

ej89 likes this.
  12. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

I love it !! At least your honest.
    He was the famous Author of Rich Dad poor Dad wasnt he ?

13. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Yes, the same one. He also charges heaps of money for seminars. He has done well for someone who has been bankrupt a couple of times and is a failed business man before he started writing the book.

What I think of Robert K as below from my favorite manager of all time.

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2015
    Charlotte30 likes this.
  14. Darlinghurst Boy

Wonder what happened to Eddie Solomon ... Remmber him when i was young.

15. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Rocket property group.
    Pat Mesiti.
    Positive real estate

Pipeclay likes this.
  16. Darlinghurst Boy

I could do it myself.
    Start a Company and do a weekend away , pay a lot of good people even from here to do talks.

I can assure you i would be much much cheaper than those sprouting BS that you can learn from those spruikers.
    I would have talks and teachers of every topic that is plain and to the point and no selling of any kind.
    In fact i might work on that, maybe a location for a weekend retreat.

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2015
  17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Rene Rivkin should get an honorary mention as an Aussie rip-off merchant.

18. Pipeclay

Pipeclay Active Member

Hi Tekoz

I have been destroyed by Positive Real Estate. I kick myself on a daily basis for my naivety and stupidity. I felt there was a breech of trust as well as a very clever marketing ploy to push sales in certain directions. My story is one that seems more and more common except it happened many times as I went on a blind buying spree!!!! I have left their mentoring group and self educated!!!! Nothing like a 300-400K actual out of pocket loss to crystalise and motivate self education!!!!

Cheers

BeefEater, M & S, Giuseppe and 6 others like this.
  19. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about that. Would you mind explaining how you came to lose that amount of dosh through these guys? Were their property recommendations just horrendous or is there more to it? These guys are always sending me emails.
    Thanks

Tekoz likes this.
  20. Darlinghurst Boy

Not sure why?