QLD Property soil has Acid Sulphate

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Rowl, 29th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rowl

Rowl New Member

Hi,

Been a long-time lurker on PC.
    I just created an account now because we're planning to buy our first IP.
    The property that I'm planning to buy has Acid Sulphate soil.
    Anyone knows how will it affect the property?
    I did a bit of google and I think it's not a good buy but want another opinion from others.

Thanks.

2. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

Acid sulphate soils are naturally occurring. Mostly the potential concern is about the higher risk of the soils causing damage to concrete and steel, mainly the foundations. Most jurisdictions have management plans around this, often requiring more substantial building foundations as a result (e.g. piles). Also requirements for damp proof course/membranes below the slab to protect it from moisture.

So long as the buildings have been constructed to a proper standard, I wouldn't blow this up to be a bigger issue.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Google Acid Sulphate Soils - unless you're excavating 1000m³ it's not a concern unless you're dumping it.

Check the CSIRO ASRIS website.

4. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Hi there. Many councils use a digital elevation model for flood risk mapping AND acid sulphate soil risk. So my house has a flood risk, and because it is in low lands adjacent to floodplain it has acid sulphate risk as well.

As a result some broad acre farming would not be approved as it wrecks the land. The farming would increase the acidity etc in the soil and create a moonscape.

I don't believe it significant enough to change my soil type from M to H or anything like that.

So for me it is an environmental flag to restrict land use. I am glad the councils do it as we don't look after our environment, but I am not aware of any building restrictions that arise from an acid sulphate flag.

Please don't farm on it, and u might find cane farms in particular like to blossom in terms same areas that are flagged as risk of acid sulphate.

Opinion only!!