Property repairs in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by SydneyInvestor, 14th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member

Hey All,

Looking for suggestions here. I am in the middle of a property deal in Brisbane where B&P failed because of some repairs like Roof restoration, chemical barrier, fence replacement etc.

The agent has offered to reduce the price and asked if I can manage the repair works myself. I am in Sydney so really not comfortable with the idea though but trying to get some knowledge to think if it is possible or how big a task it would be for me. Though still to discuss with him how much price can he reduce but seems not budging much may be extra $5k apart from the anticipated costs of repairs. I am just interested because of the location of property is really good, very close to station and shopping centre.

Any ideas please, if it is a real headache with I having no prior experience or doable (I know not easily though) and what would be the process (whom to contact for project management etc). Any personal references for work estimation would be appreciated as well.

Thanks a ton!

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

I recall @Propagate had a recommended reno project manager

SydneyInvestor likes this.
  3. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

That's right @Property Twins , I used Pam Panadee from About

She completely managed a full cosmetic renovation for me on a house I've never seen in the flesh. I'm in Melbourne, the house is Brisbane.

Her communication was great and she did a fully costed (budget) proposal before we committed. Final costs came in very close to what she proposed.

4. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

If it's cost effective why not, but 5k sounds like a low budget for that type of work. You haven't really gone in-depth of how serious some of the work is. Replacing half of a tin roof with guttering may fall outside your budget.

5. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member

Thanks @Property Twins and @Propagate :)
    @Antoni0 Thanks Antonio, 5k was my guess of price reduction above the cost of repairs. Though nothing has been discussed yet.

Propagate likes this.
  6. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Good idea to start with some quotes and add some extra funds to the total for some leeway if things go wrong during the repairs.

SydneyInvestor likes this.
  7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I think you need to know what is really going on here.

Just because things are written in a B&P does not mean a place is a "fail" or needs money off, or walk away.

There will be stuff on *every* B&P unless the inspector is very lazy (or did not even look or attend )

Shazi, Marg4000 and HUGH72 like this.
  8. diagnostic

diagnostic Well-Known Member

Is it an option to fly up for an inspection one day? May be able to try and arrange some trades to come in the same day to do some quotes etc.

Shazi likes this.
  9. Jess_kindt

Jess_kindt New Member

Hi there. I've been a property manager for over 14 years in Brisbane - and currently oversea a rental department in Brisbane's Western suburbs. How did you go with this property?