Education & Work Property related jobs

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 7th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Economics

Phantom likes this.
  2. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Now there's something I can do! Joel's Smoke Alarm Checking Pty Ltd. Batteries not included.

Last edited: 7th Oct, 2015
    ej89 and Redom like this.
  3. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

I'll tell you what...if there's an NRAS 2.0 I'll be hiring - but right now it's just a political quagmire :) See attached- Page 375 onwards ... there is certainly some very strong support at the committee level for the Govt to take a serious look at re-calibrating NRAS to stop the trading and foreign student "abuse" - although nothing in the legislation actually prevents it. Perhaps with a new treasurer in the role.... who knows?

But right now , Australia's housing and affordable housing policies are basically rudderless- there isn't really a minister in charge anymore... I suspect though, whether it's via NRAS or something else - this will have to be addressed. Scott Morrison has certainly been making more and more mention of housing affordability being a cornerstone problem in Australia, and it's a problem that isnt going away.

Re-calibrated to weed out the scoundrels, NRAS 2.0 might be the ticket... we shall see.

But until or unless that changes - NRAS purchasing opportunities are just about done. Other than a project I'm about to start selling near Parramatta, which is due to complete in Feb, and a project I'll be offering in the New Year at Port Macquarie, there's really not much left around the country...

Attached Files:

Last edited: 21st Oct, 2015
  4. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Perth > Melbourne > Sydney > London > Sydney
    I was an accountant for 6 years before deciding to move in to a role that combined what little of accounting I did enjoy with my passion for property thus became a property analyst.

Currently studying a property post grad combined with an MBA to go with the experience I'm getting as a property analyst so I can eventually move to New York to work for an investment fund or something similar.

sammmeee likes this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Salesperson for a building company. I have spoken to a few in the last year and some of them are very good at their jobs and love it.

Something similar is a building/planning consultant. Like the above but can also analyse and advise on development potential. My friend who is a town planner does this.

In the policy area, there are jobs for government that relate to housing and real estate. In WA, Deparment of Housing have development project managers and also asset managers, who looks after the state's housing assets. That could be interesting.

6. imbi3

imbi3 Well-Known Member

Hi Lynch
    Just curious, what do you do as a property analyst?

7. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Perth > Melbourne > Sydney > London > Sydney
    I'm responsible for Councils property portfolio. I identify under performing properties, provide advice on acquisition and disposal of properties, negotiate with developers in regards to planning agreements, work with our asset management team to ensure properties are returning the maximum possible etc.

Great job but ideally I will be working for an investment fund in the not to distant future. 90% of the decisions I make go through a 3 month process to gain approval. They need to be taken to the senior leadership team for sign off, then to council then advertised to the community then back to council for final approval. A lot of the recommendations are contentious like selling a community property which receives plenty of objection from the public even though all of the funds received will be going to a better community facility.

Because of the possible objection from the community, councillors are wary of doing anything to drastic even though Council will end up in a better position financially as well as the community gaining a property that would be a better fit for its purpose.

Investment funds are a lot more aggressive and I would be recommending acquisitions & disposals on a daily or weekly basis

8. Jacob Field

Jacob Field Well-Known Member

Raft of jobs in Fintech/property business and software scene:

Geo-spatial developer
    Property Algo/Math developer
    through to sales, marketing and founder :)

Jacob

9. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Plumbing apprenticeship is the longest trade course at tafe

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I
    It was also one of the most detailed & longest services subjects in the building degree too.

Brian84 likes this.
  11. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

The plumbers I know make ok money - but after paying all insurances, downtime for quoting etc i wouldn't say it is great pay.
    Tilers on the other hand in WA - $50 to $65 sq mtr for tiling plus extras from the project builders.
    Minimal tools and quoting - materials often supplied.
    Yeap next life I will be a tiler!

12. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I'm just fascinated by the sexiness rating of these jobs. Where on the sexiness scale would you place property management Gockie?

samiam likes this.
  13. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

That's why the are one of the highest paid trades and charge for a call out fee just to look at the job.

14. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Above septic tank cleaner, just below town planning.

Xenia and samiam like this.
  15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Don't PMs have people queuing to get their hands on your assets? ;)

16. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

Hey @Gockie,
    I was just scrolling through LinkedIn and saw APRA has job openings and thought of you. What'd you think? Help us investors by loosening their purse strings ;)
    Australian Prudential Regulation Authority - Jobs List - External

Australian Prudential Regulation Authority - Jobs List - External

Gockie likes this.
  17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

18. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Sorry... @Xenia ... less than 5/10. :(

If anybody wants to help me change my mind on its sexiness rating please feel free to do so but when I hear the c#ap people go through, problem tenants and owners... umm.... no thanks.

But a good one is worth their weight in gold. :)

Xenia likes this.
  19. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

For something non-immediate, you can probably rule out planning consultant, engineer or drafter as these all now require qualifications which take years to complete.

20. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Xenia,
    Renting to an Embassy is pretty sexy!
    I should know! Property Managers rock! (even in a twinset and pearls!) I know more but I'd have to kill if I told you!:cool:

Last edited: 6th Nov, 2015
    Xenia likes this.