Property prices beginning to drop

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Property Baron, 18th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jezzah

Jezzah Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Melbourne's Southbank had a vacancy rate of something to the tune of 16% in the past month or so. It was in the top 5 for high vacancy postcodes nationwide and is also home to some of the largest vertical cruise ships being built in the city/nation.

2. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

Docklands 3008 which I've been monitoring closely. This data is only to May, so I expect it to keep increasing.

upload_2020-7-6_16-45-29.png

SQM Research - Property - Residential Vacancy Rates - 3008

Peter2013 likes this.
  3. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Barry Plant Docklands latest window display of places to let (mainly Docklands, a few CBD) lists 72 properties (nearly all apartments obviously) for rent, next to nothing over $500. Pre virus it would normally be 20-24.

4. Jezzah

Jezzah Well-Known Member

jakc and rizzle like this.
  5. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

Covid doesn't discriminate?

6. Kramerica12

Kramerica12 Well-Known Member

In the last 3 weeks or so supply in the suburbs I’m looking at is drying up very hard. And because of this a couple houses have recently sold for significantly higher prices than they would have a few months ago. They were pre auction offers, one after just one week of the campaign

7. Peter2013

Peter2013 Well-Known Member

Virus outbreak reignites 20pc price fall fears

AMP chief economist Dr Shane Oliver:

“The lockdown poses a renewed threat to the economy, which ultimately is a negative for the property market.

“I was looking for around 10 per cent price drops in Melbourne and Sydney. With the virus outbreak, the risk of a 20 per cent house price fall has emerged again.

“The market is in a pretty precarious situation at the moment.”

Cousinit and jakc like this.
  8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Maybe a mix of Airbnbs and missing students

If an older people or a person with underlying health issues gets it they'll be much more likely to die.

Cold workplaces, eg. Meat packers, working hard, breathing hard in close proximity to each other is well known for spreading the disease.

Sharing of simple things like salt shakers or cigarette lighters can spread it.

The people in the towers are less likely to read or understand the literature out there on the disease.

I think they are in greater risk of the disease.

9. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

No discrimination at all but lifestyle and environment play a big part in its spread

10. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

I don't know a lot about the people in the towers but I'd reckon whoever was living in those towers would be in trouble if a few random people started an outbreak in there.
    A lot of less fortunate countries than us actually have really good hand hygiene as they have been fighting bacteria and disease a lot longer than us.

I don't disagree that they are a high risk I'm just saying.

11. DueDiligence

DueDiligence Well-Known Member

Free virus money and low listings have kept the mockery going.

I reckon it’s half off the cliff now. In January when those who still work return to their jobs they hate with massive credit card debts , overweight with a Xmas hangover , with no more super withdrawals or virus money the reality will set in.

The only people buying now are OOs who sold post July 2019 and FOMO money land buying Homebuilders using first time vendor grants, FHLDS and Frydenbuild virus money.

Last edited: 7th Jul, 2020
    Lions4Eva likes this.
  12. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

That is not true.

craigc, Niche, jakc and 1 other person like this.
  13. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

Sydney city area is pretty bad at the moment too. Alot of vacancy. Luckily I was able to secure a tenant on a 12-month lease recently, at a reduced rent of course. I hope things pick up at some stage.

Cia and Someguy like this.
  14. The lucky duck

The lucky duck Well-Known Member

Where is this?

we are keen on Kingscliff casuarina Caba etc

15. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

I've had a few people selling in Sydney and buying in Brisbane. Yields are tough in Sydney at the moment. Anything above 500-550 in Brisbane (houses) seem to be attracting a lot of buyers at the moment.

16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

The further away you can get from the Mebournians, the better :rolleyes:

17. essendonfan

essendonfan Well-Known Member

Plently of people buying, you are incorrect.

18. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

While I don't fully agree with @DueDiligence I will be interested to see if your view holds up in 6 to 12 months time.

19. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

Take a drive around Brisbane , look at the vacant commercial premises , look at the vacant residential , it wasn’t even remotely like that even in UK in 2008 as bad as that was , property will be very lucky to stay stagnant , most likely to drop the only question i think , is now by how much and how fast

20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Don't think so..don't think the sharemarket is going to test the March lows again as well (notwithstanding something else from left field).

People are over the initial shock and mystique of C19 and will 'cope' better with bad news. Proof? Just look at the DOW. Apart from Govt stimulus, zero reasons for it to rise, terrible economic prospects in the short term, and yet it seems to be holding out.

FWIW, I think (guess) it will head south again possibly on a sustained basis...perhaps even after a vaccine is discovered.

But as far as 20% falls in resi, my guess is no it won't.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia