Property prices beginning to drop

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Property Baron, 18th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

Houses around the 1.5m price range inner north and west. One house I looked at last week has been removed from sale it seems , could be totally unrelated to the market

2. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Aha. I'm looking for clients in the 600 to 750k range.

Last edited: 5th Jul, 2020
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Are any of these areas in the hot spot/lockdown or nearby?

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

It will be dependent on impact of jobs. If you cant service debt you cant buy. No one knows how this will play out, but the longer the country stays in lockdown we will see more businesses hit the wall

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its early days, we have to see how lockdown has impacted on businesses and jobs and whether our government’s management of this works. GDP will be interesting to watch over the next 6 months

6. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

Sorry to be negative, but I'm losing faith that there will ever even be a Coronavirus vaccine. There is no real evidence of any progress at all. And that is with the best of the best scientists from all over the world working on it now for 6months with unlimited resources.
    There will be outbreaks in all states eventually as we open up. I fear for many many businesses. Property will drop as most of us expect in the short term and until we find a viable way of living and working with it.

7. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

The right now culture we are. If we are lucky, it takes around 18 months to develop a vaccine. It probably would take another couple of years till it undergone phase I, phase II and phase III trials. That’s if we are lucky. Usually takes longer than that.

If we actually get a vaccine in 18 months, I’ll be surprised and a bit cautious...

8. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Yes, was the same during the 2018/9 downturn

9. Property Baron

To add to this - When the expected spikes start to occur all over the country, will Australia ever get to the point where amounts of cases per day won't cause all out lockdown? America is getting 55,000 cases per day recently with most states not considering a second shut down due to budget short falls and double digit unemployment

10. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Perth > Melbourne > Sydney > London > Sydney
    This isn't a great post, and makes no sense

I picked up a block of units in Miami, 75% below the previous sale price during the GFC.

Were all investors affected by the GFC? No
    Did every investor sell? No
    All rents affected? No
    Everyone unemployed? No
    Was all of American on benefits? No
    Did every employer cut staff? No

Yet some property, even those with good bones and well located fell by up to 75%

11. Property Baron

So the Melbourne towers are under heavy lockdown because apparently they spread coronavirus like a cruiseship? So will this mean high rise apartments could see a hefty price drop? I don't see alot of difference in them too the Melbourne towers. Id imagine when or if cruiseships begin operating again a ticket would be pretty cheap..:eek:

12. Peter2013

Peter2013 Well-Known Member

Yes, they are calling them 'vertical cruiseships'.

Only a matter of time before COVID19 gets into residential towers in Docklands or South Melbourne.

13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

People keep telling me they are empty - no OO residents, and certainly no tenants.

The Y-man

14. The Y-man

I was thinking the same, but they have all been abandoned now because all the students are gone. Those that are left probably have the whole floor to themselves....

The lockdown towers are special case too - they are housing commission and AFAIK handle a lot of recently landed refugee groups etc.

The Y-man

15. DueDiligence

DueDiligence Well-Known Member

The Vaccine is a myth, they worked for 10 years on SARS and never got it. Meanwhile , the WHO have cleverly made everyone forget this is SARS2 by calling it COVID.. then cheerleading for a vaccine....

Gaka likes this.
  16. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Other than being old, it looks like my happy in myself , slightly anti-social personality may be blessing in disguise.

wylie likes this.
  17. Property Baron

I was more talking about high rise apartments in general all over the place losing value. So many being built everywhere and now they can be described as Vertical cruiseships. I would not be buying one any time soon

18. The Y-man

Shouldn't be buying them at any time - covid or not.

The Y-man

PaulB, Angel, Niche and 2 others like this.
  19. Property Baron

They were ok for positive cashflow strategies pre covid in some areas but I would be staying well clear of the Vertical cruiseships nowdays.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator: 5th Jul, 2020
  20. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Different demographic and lifestyle so not really that comparable

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia