Property Predictions - 2018

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 6th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DowntownBlock

DowntownBlock Well-Known Member

Will trail Sydney by 6-12months...
    Sydney been declining for 5 months now so....

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I agree interest rates are going up. To buffer against this I want to fix 2 of my loans. I think my 5 year fixed rate is 4.49%. That's pretty low. Any idea why the bank thinks interest rates aren't going up? If they thought interest rates were going up, would they not have 5 year fixed rates higher? I have been told that fixing rates never works because you can't beat the bank. With 4.49% fixed for 5 years, what am I missing?

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. DowntownBlock

DowntownBlock Well-Known Member

Nothing. 5yr fixed rates are very good value.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

In 2018, I'm predicting a crash in Brisbane.
    I think a lot of money will continue to flow into Sydney and anything as far out as Dubbo will greatly benefit.
    The far flung Western Sydney areas will be the new engine room of the country, surpassing even that of Sydney cbd.

5. Martinez22

Martinez22 Well-Known Member

Was there anyone on propertychat who predicted the perth property crash while we were living happy days in the mining boom? I wish I did what @MTR did and sell my girrawheen house when it peaked

6. radson

radson Well-Known Member

If using stock market analogies then Perth experienced more of a correction than a crash?

Karratha. Hedland, Newman etc on the other hand were like triple crashes.

Martinez22 likes this.
  7. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I was told that fixed rates can mean that you are unable to pay off the loan early (good consistent income for the bank). You might want to make a portion of your loan variable to pay it off early. Check with your lender/ broker.

8. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Banks actually don't take a position on fixed rates for a term, they actually take the fixed price from the swaps market - so I guess the question is why is the market thinking that rates will not rise?

Probably traders forgetting that rates can actually rise, after having low rates for 7+ yrs.

Perthguy likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

you can never predict when market will correct, but you can buy when the market starts rising, no guess work with that one.

If you look at previous boom cycles you have at least 2 years, Syd and Melb been running much longer. I guess its a matter of managing risk

Martinez22 likes this.
  10. Perthguy

Yes, that is true. For these loans I am not planning on paying them back early. I would rather have the funds available at this stage then pay P&I when the loans switch from IO.

11. Perthguy

Thanks @Toby. That makes sense.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.