Property portfolio advisor referrals

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by K8F, 17th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. K8F

K8F Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I’m essentially looking for recommendations of advisors that you have used or know of, to help us develop a “property portfolio plan”.

I have done a moderate amount of my own research, but still have so much to learn.
    I would be interested in using someone’s services to guide me in developing a plan for IPs inc the price point/ type/target yield/ region etc etc.

I know of Empower Wealth that do a whole financial planning/property portfolio, however would like alternative options to compare services/cost with as they seemed quite pricey at 5k considering they don’t offer advice as to where to buy.

Perhaps I'd be better off using the coin to engage an Australia wide buyers advocate.. ‍♀️

Our situation - we have a 4BD family home in Buderim that’s paid due to both early start on the RE market when i was 23 and family inheritance .
    We have an IP in the same area ( yes I understand why not always a great move to have two in one area) that has an LVR of 25% for the same reason above.

So therefore the IP is highly positively geared but age wise is too old to have much depreciation.
    It’s almost 1/4 acre and a buy and hold strategy with potential to (future) to perhaps divide/build 2 and keep if zoning changes.

We would like to get a 2nd IP soon...(outside of the Sunshine Coast obviously).

Any advice, recommendations and referrals would be much appreciated.

I do read the forums on this regularly but still would like personal advice.
    N
    Thanks in advance,
    Kate

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Look for a PIPA qualified member, I think some members of PC are PIPA members.

3. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Such stuff has exclusion risk which doesnt objectively reduce the risk of the service consumer per se.

I have had prospective clients ask me , as a broker, are you a member of XYZ

Lets demonstrate with a search for PIPA accredited brokers with a 25 k radius of sydney

we have seven.........................

notably one with the following spelling on the PIPA site.............

Blah BLah Blah FinancailServices (13.5 km)

so either its a very high entry level of education or experience to qualify, or its a marketing piece of variable value

ta
    rolf

Terry_w likes this.
  5. Terry_w

Yes there is no licencing requirement to advise on property. Being a member of PIPA doesn't really guarantee quality. PIPA does have some standards for entry though.

Just make sure that any so called property advisor has insurance that covers them for property advice.

6. Terry_w

7. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

For OP request I am aware Metropole also do a property portfolio plan.
    Given the heavy sales angles from metropole and OP request was to work out what to plan for next, I would suggest Empower Wealth plan.
    If you haven’t already, listen to the guys on ‘The property couch’ podcast for an idea of their values. IMO close to, if not the best RE podcast around.
    Once you have a plan/idea of what you want to do and what to target, then BA’s can assist you with the implementation (if required).
    Good luck!

8. K8F

K8F Well-Known Member

Thanks, I’ve listened to just about all of PC podcasts which is where I heard about Empower wealth.

I guess I was just hoping for more targeted property selection advice rather than solely giving me a plan with number of properties, purchase price and yield.

That’s why I wonder if I’m better off using a buyers advocate again..

But will definitely look into Propertology and metropole!

Bryan Loughnan likes this.
  9. K8F

K8F Well-Known Member

10. Terry_w

This is really something that needs licensing so only someone with a real estate licence could legally assist you. A buyers agent or a real estate agent.

11. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Hi Kate, further to above I'd suggest you are looking for a Buyers Agent who is also QPIA. As mentioned above PIPA website will help.

Bryan Loughnan and Terry_w like this.
  12. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

@K8F Momentum Wealth (based in Perth though that shouldn’t matter for portfolio strategy advice) also offer a similar service to Empower Wealth, though I’m not necessarily recommending either of them (I’ve heard mixed reports on both).