NSW Property NOT selling in Sydney - Clearance rates below 50%!

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by DowntownBlock, 6th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

Margin calls are specific to margin products. Not so when using home equity to purchase shares, no different to using said equity to purchase another property.

Last edited: 30th Nov, 2017
    Perthguy likes this.
  2. AlexV_Sydney

AlexV_Sydney Well-Known Member

to some extent, YES.

when an investor doesn't have a cash buffer and property price declines sharply, it leads to fall in rental return, in result - repayments are much higher than rental returns, so an investor may be not able to make repayments - that is technically "margin call" for that investor

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

totally different beast IMHO - margin call -
    Margin call is a demand.

With property bank loans you have control

Last edited: 1st Dec, 2017
  4. AlexV_Sydney

AlexV_Sydney Well-Known Member

'margin call' for property loan is a demand as well, but it is conditional and more flexibility (cash buffer, ability to increase income, ability to borrow, etc) and delayed in time.

MTR likes this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

You can take out a standard residential loan with a residential property as security for "investment purposes". I have done this twice. I could have done whatever I wanted with the loan funds: gone to Bali, put it all on red, bought Dick Smith shares, bought bitcoin, or invested in property. It went on property but if I have bought bitcoin instead, I would be filthy rich right now. My point is that these are not margin loans, they are normal residential loans and basically can't be called in.

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

secured against shares? not property?

7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

A residential property is the security for the loan. Once the loan is set up I can buy shares.

I have a house. I use the house as security for a loan of $250,000. I use the funds to buy shares.

If the shares go up, great! If the shares go down, the bank won't hassle me because the loan is secured by a house. Does that make sense?

It's fairly easy to do. I have done it twice, except that I bought property, not shares with the loan funds.

ollidrac nosaj and aussieB like this.
  8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Actually, MTR was asking about leveraging "on value of asset" meaning the only security is the asset itself. This is what a margin loan does.

Borrowing equity from your home to invest in shares is NOT leveraging shares - it's leveraging real estate. You can also borrow equity in your home to buy a car, extend your home, get cosmetic surgery - doesn't make it an investment.

... anyway - I think this thread's original topic has run its course - closing it. Feel free to start a separate discussion about margin loans or leverage of shares vs real estate.

Terry_w, MTR and Perthguy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.