Property Managers - vacating tenant and rents owed

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by lisawithane, 16th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. lisawithane

lisawithane Well-Known Member

Hi All experienced investors and property managers!
    I have a property in QLD and my tenants vacated on 4th July. I advised the property managers that I'd be moving agencies once the tenants leave. Have just received my final statement and tenants are only paid to 19th June and owe some money for damages BUT the property manager's care factor is zero! How can I possibly recoup this lost money from the tenants who have already left and probably have no intention of paying it.

Really glad I moved property managers but frustrated they haven't managed this well and amazed they're so flippant. Their response was "that's all the money in your trust account so that's all you're receiving"

What should I do?

2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Bond claim, and posdibly insurance claim.
    It's an easy thing to sort and the next property manager can sort it quite easily it does not need to be the one who was managing the tenancy.

Lil Skater, 733 and MTR like this.
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Your instructions to the current agent is to not release the bond and that you will be handling the bond claim.

Put this in writing to them.

Get the new pm to transfer the bond to their agency ASAP so that you are safeguarded.

Get copy of ledger and ingoing inspection for claim. The new pm can do the outgoing inspection and claim damages. If I was managing this I would prefer to take control of the outgoing and claims - my way.

If you are in qld have a chat to Renee @DiligentPM, they may be able to sort the mess for you.

Bottom line - don't worry about it, all this is just industry standard stuff. Sorry you had that experience with your last pm.

Lil Skater, 733, MTR and 2 others like this.