Property Managers in Coffs Harbour 2450

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by R.C., 18th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. R.C.

R.C. Well-Known Member

Hi there

Does anyone have experiences with property managers in the Coffs Harbour area?
    Recommendations for or against?
    Please share your stories, good or bad.

Not entirely happy with the PM agency I`ve been with for about 5 years now. They appear to have a frequent turnover of staff and perhaps too many properties on their books to manage efficiently. Unauthorised maintenance expenditure without any communication is a recurring issue.

At times I want to change but it is somewhat a case of the devil you know...

Cheers,
    Roger

2. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

Have you tried ratemyagent? Could narrow down the best agencies and compile a list of PM's to interview from there.

Alternatively I'm sure a local buyer's agent will be happy to help with PM recommendations

3. R.C.

R.C. Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply John.

I wasn`t aware that ratemyagent.com.au covered PMs, I`ll check it out. :)

4. JordanHrovat

JordanHrovat Member

Hi R.C,

I'm curious to know how you went. Did you find someone?

Did ratemyagent help find you a good property manager?

Cheers

5. R.C.

R.C. Well-Known Member

Hi Jordan,

Unfortunately ratemyagent does not include PMs. Some agencies do also manage properties but the site is geared towards sales.

I`ve been with Pacific Property Management for about 5 years now. Until recently they solely handled property management, including short term holiday rentals. Now they have expanded into sales as well, which I think may have affected their quality of service. Currently they have a staff of about 8, but no idea of how they are allocated.

I previously had a good working relationship with one PM there for the first 3 years or so, who was quite professional, knowledgeable and quick to communicate any issues or requests. Since she left I have been through 4 different PMs, as well as reception staff, who have no knowledge or record of previous conversations, instructions or issues. I am getting tired and frustrated of having to retrain new (to me) PMs.

The issue of unauthorized maintenance and no communication keeps pushing my button. From the beginning, I have insisted of notification of any issue and the permitted expenditure is $0. I hate finding out about unknown expenses when my EFT is short or via the monthly statement.

I usually spend more money up front to fix something properly or replace the problem. Like a new dishwasher is actually cheaper and lasts longer than a couple of call outs just for a blocked drain hose. Latest thing was $80 for 2 tap washers via handy man and just before that was over $140 charge for a $25 shower head. Not excessive in itself, but with a simple phone call my mate down the road would have been more than happy to go to Bunnys and do both for a carton of beer, and share it too!

Have previously had to wear a sparky callout to change 2 light bulbs that are tenant`s responsibility anyway. Not downlights over the stairs, just normal Edison Screw reflectors. What about a Sunday emergency callout of >$500 for no power, because tenants left a lead outside and it rained? Outrageous expense incurred for an RCD test that stupid tenants initiated!!!

Also I believe there is some degree of "country town" mentality and attitude of looking after local tenants who remain clients (rent another property through same agency) to the detriment of an interstate landlord. It has cost me for damage that was not claimed from tenant`s bond that I suspect was simply transferred to the next property.

Anyway, now I`ve chilled out a bit, decided to stick with the same PM agency till the next unauthorised deduction. Then I will change, and notified PM & principal of intent. Have another RE in mind but it will still cost me to change. May be cutting my own throat though, it`s a gamble really, an each way bet. Particularly after reading some horror stories on PC, there are much worse PMs out there.