Property Managers are they necessary?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Shikari, 19th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shikari

Shikari Member

If you had a small (n<2) investment portfolio, would a Property manager be necessary? I feel like maybe starting out, you could afford to take the time out to manage the property yourself.

Could you really do it yourself? What are the likely things and problems you'd run into? I have zero experience with this, and was really trying to weigh up the pros and cons of doing so.

Shik.

2. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

3 of my properties I manage myself.
    You need to decide if you have the free time if things need doing and can handle the pressure if things go wrong.
    Also you will need to be familiar with the current laws the properties are located in.

Main problems would be organising repairs and maintenance. If it's a 3am call can you do it?
    Chasing tenants up if rent is not paid.
    Issuing the correct forms and documentation and the start, middle and end of the lease.

Make sure you have building, contents & landlord insurance.

Arnel likes this.
  3. Shikari

Shikari Member

Thankyou! That was just the sort of info I was after :)

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It's one of the basics, always get building/pest inspection, always get insurance, use a property manager.

Sure you could. But you'll soon find out why that small amount of money is worth paying someone else.

5. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

3am call outs are a thing of the past, subscribe to racv emergency home assist, give tenants the number for emergencies and enjoy your sleep.

6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Do they have that for investment properties?

7. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Yes, they do. Though I'm not sure if it's valid in other states - certainly in Victoria. All my properties have it, self managed and PM managed.

8. The Property Manager

The Property Manager New Member

we manage a large number of proprieties and I get the emergency phone a lot. would get a call one in every 2 weekends nothing really ever at 3am. we handle this situation at sign up. most plumbers and our plumber has a 24 hour number. your biggest issue would be working with ion the legislation and tenanting the property when it become vacant.

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

And if they stop paying the rent.

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Interesting. Is there a flat fee or pay per call out?

11. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

RACV is $179 per property (tax deductible) You get 8 call outs a year per property. Looks like NRMA have something similar in NSW - http://www.mynrma.com.au/emergency-home-assist/faqs.htm

My tenants have had to use it a few times, had a gas leak at one property from the meter. Turned out to be corroded gas piping. RACV sent out a gas plumber, made it safe (comply with legislation) and then they quoted on full repair costs - I found the quote very well priced so went ahead with it.

Another call out was for something simple that ended up being a gas hot water pilot light gone out. Saved me a fair bit of cash as it was on the weekend.

Check out some of the details on what they cover, you should find it matches up almost identical to a landlords responsibilities for emergency repairs.

12. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

You can self manage but why go to the trouble and if you needed to go to court over something they will represent you.

13. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

There are plenty of tools out there to assist you self manage. (& plenty more in agencies who will do the same).

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

15. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

With our first IPs we used a PM.

It was a terrible experience - they didn't communicate, took ages finding tenants. It was just one issue after the next.

For that reason, we decided to give self managing a go. Well my wife did - I can't claim much credit.

She was proactive, clued up about tenancy legislation and processes.

For the majority of the time, it was quite easy. However - when things do go wrong, man is it a hassle to deal with!

We've been to the tribunal because of a non paying tenant, had phone calls at 3am due to a laundry flooding and found out there were 8 people living in a property that we'd rented out to two!

All in all - it became too much. We ended up finding an awesome PM from SS (good old SS) - and it's made a world of difference. We still self manage two properties - but when new tenants are needed for those, we'll just hand those over too to the PM too.

Self managing is fine if you're willing to put in the work, stick to process and confront situations which can be quite awkward (calling a tenant and asking about their late rent for instance). If you're not prepared for that - then a property manager is worth it.

Cheers

Jamie

Perp likes this.
  16. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

For me, yes, they are a necessity. I don't have the time, nor the inclination to manage my tenants and learn the appropriate legislation and make sure they adhere to it.

I see PM's like an insurance policy.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, plenty of better things to do with your time. Would rather be researching property than spending my time worrying about one I've already got. And for what could be $25/week (deductible). Totally worth it.

18. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Portfolio Perth Brisbane Sydney Melbourne
    Using a PM allows you to work on your portfolio and not in it.

To me its about leveraging other peoples time as well as capital.

Last thing I wanted to do was to become a slave to it.

That defeats the purpose why I started investing in the first instance.

Perp, Mumbai and No Probs like this.
  19. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

Having tried both self managing and using a Property Manager, I much prefer using a PM. I don't really have the time to manage my tenants.

20. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

While I have read all of the property legislation a dozen times front to back I do not keep up to date with the changes in this area and my time is precious for family and friends so I use the services of property managers for my investment properties. I have been very happy with the communication level and professional service provided.