Property Managers and Repairs (ongoing)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Silke DW, 13th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Silke DW

Silke DW Well-Known Member

Hi, I have more PM dramas, this time with the property that I am leasing.

- Moved in Friday March 15 of 2019.
    - Sat March 16 - advised PM of leaking taps in the bathroom
    - between 16 March and 3 May - send 8 emails to PM with the Licencee on copy about the leaking taps with no response
    - May 24 - email Licencee asking if I should put the landlord's name or her name on my NCAT application?
    - May 28 - handyman magically appears to replace tap washers! Advises that the taps are badly corroded on the inside (federation house) and the units will need replacing otherwise they will start leaking again in a few months
    - Feb 09 (Sunday night) - one tap starts leaking very badly - losing 1 litre of water every hour
    - Monday Feb 10 - email PM with licencee on copy - no response
    - Wednesday Feb 12 - phone office offering to organise plumber myself as I am home for the next two days. I am advised no, someone will call me instead. Nobody calls me

Should I just cut out the middle man and go straight to NCAT? This is a disgrace. Even though we had significant rainfall last week we are still in Stage 2 water restrictions.

I am in NSW.

2. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Well, at least they are paying for the water.

Michael Mitchell and mikey7 like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Are you applying to NCAT in order to break the lease?

Whilst it is a disgrace, is it enough to leave over?

I'd keep copies of every effort you've made to get the leaking taps fixed.

Check with whoever supports tenants and/or landlords (eg. Residential Tenancy Association in Queensland - not sure in your state) and ask what you can do.

There are times where "emergency work" can be organised by the tenant, and it may be possible you can call a plumber yourself but check on whether or not a leaking tap would be considered an "emergency" if there is this type or provision (I doubt it).

And I'd email every day to the PM but other than that, let the leak keep on leaking. You've done what you can do.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. Silke DW

Hi Wylie, not to break the least but to order them to carry out the repairs under Section 65.

5. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

It is terrible you have this type of PM, I wish the Owners are made aware of this, since they are paying for the water.
    I would have emailed and SMS the PM on Sunday night when it happened.
    In Qld, you can issue a Breach Notice to the PM, and do it soon if it bothers you enough.

Anyhow, agree with Wylie, what are you trying to achieve here? How does the PM perform in the whole scope of thing?
    Have they been responsive in other areas? Is this a house or strata?

If you move in in March-2019, your Lease would be due soon.....

6. Silke DW

@Pumpkin
    I am in NSW.
    This is a private rental, not a strata (house).
    Agents have been completely non-responsive in other areas. Haven't even had any inspections.
    Yes my lease will be up soon but we are very happy here otherwise.
    I have bumped into the landlord on a handful of occasions who is very nice but elderly (at least 80+ years old) and infirm and speaks very little English. I do not have his contact details.

7. Silke DW

8. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Hmm, I told some of our ex-Tenants that I dont mind they move to a new place, but please find one with a good PM and Owner.
    Hopefully next time you see your Landlord try to get his contacts plus his siblings or any associated person.
    I dont normally advise people to bypass their PM but if this is the only solution, go for it.

Still think you can do the Breach Notice to PM.

Last edited: 13th Feb, 2020
  9. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

It sounds like you don’t want to be difficult, which I completely understand - but I think from what you’ve said you need to dig your heels in.

I’m not in NSW and don’t know the exact process, but I’d be breaching them. If it’s the same as Vic you need to breach the owner though, not the agent - but check that with Fair Trading.

10. Silke DW

I'm in NSW - sadly no remedy exists to breach the property manager in this jurisdiction otherwise I would have done it a long time ago.

11. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Oh, I didn't realise that the breaching looks like it's only for termination in NSW (from my very quick skim). Someone in NSW please correct me.

In that case, I think NCAT is really the only option. If you do see the owner around you could try to get some details so you can provide feedback about the agent and see if that prompts a change in PM. If they're spiteful just make sure you document everything in the event it gets their knickers in a knot. Looks like Fair Trading also has a complaints line which would be a good option too.