Property manager went crazy?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Jat, 24th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jat

Jat Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm having a situation with my property manager. I have 2 IPs with him and I'm selling one of them.
    I interviewed several selling agents, and my PM was one of the people I interviewed for the job(they told me they also sell properties so I gave him a chance as well).

I choose a selling agent that wasn't him. I also let him know of that decision.

He replied sending me a crazy email saying among other things that it was very disrespectful of me not to choose him to sell the property. (?)

Also that he doesn't want to do any more business with me and I have to pick up the properties files tomorrow morning and find someone else to manage them.

The problem is that the property I'm decided to put for sale is having a difficult tenant. We are going to tribunal in a few weeks. Next step is for the tenant to leave. Tribunal won't allow her to stay since this is the second time in under 60 days.

So I need this PM to finish this bit.

I understand that the Management Agency Agreement says they should give me "30 days notice in writing but without prejudice to any accrued rights or incurred obligations"

Does that mean they should take care of the tenant tribunal hearing and until they leave?
    Any recommendation on how to approach them so they complete this part of the job?
    Did that email he sent saying to pick up the files tomorrow counts as a written notice to terminate the contract? Even if it does count, the tribunal hearing is just before the 30 days mark.

Note: property is not for sale yet, I put everything on hold until I get the tenant out.

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendation on this!

2. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

Wow, sounds like someone has spat the dummy. I'd be looking for a quality professional agent. If you're transferring two properties then they might just take on the difficult one for you. Does the sales agent have a PM department? I'd also be talking to them.

Realistically, your authority might say 30 days but do you want it to stay there for 30 days while an unprofessional crazy pm does nothing but cause you grief?

AxeLy, wylie and BunnyXiao like this.
  3. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t trust them to do a reasonable job at tribunal for you.

Find a new agent ASAP for both properties.

AxeLy, Hayley Cannon, wylie and 2 others like this.
  4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Buy him a box of tissues.

AxeLy, Hayley Cannon, Jacque and 2 others like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

He needs a hug.:rolleyes:

6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

this thread sounds familiar, I recall another one here but the one who spat the dummy was the principal of the agency

Last edited: 24th Sep, 2020
    datto likes this.
  7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Tell him he was def the first choice but a friend suggested you shouldn't have conflict of interest ie they benefit either by maintaining u on their books as a landlord or commission via sale.

Stoffo and Tom Rivera like this.
  8. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

9. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Curious to know why you didnt pick him.
    And when do you intend to put it on the market? After the current Tenants move-out I presume?

10. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I would not rely on the existing PM to be able to do a competent job at Tribunal for you, and if your sale is waiting on this property being vacant, then there is more at stake here.

Given the property is to be sold, a reasonable solution might be for a new PM to charge for their time to resolve it for you.

11. Jat

Jat Well-Known Member

He is actually the principal of the agency. The owner.
    I didn't gave so much details to avoid making it too long. But when I told my PM that I was selling, she mentioned the principal of the agency was interested in selling the property for me and that's when I engaged him. Turned out to be a bad idea.

12. Jat

Jat Well-Known Member

I didn't choose him because from the interviews I did to other agents, another one stand out for me. We are planning to sell with the tenant out.

13. Jat

Jat Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for your recommendations.
    Any suggestion around a good pm in the Illawarra area I can contact to?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia