property manager vacating the tenant without permission

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by _alex_, 21st Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. _alex_

_alex_ Active Member

Thanks Simon. Are you able to PM me the contact details of the solicitor? How much does the consultation cost?

2. _alex_

_alex_ Active Member

The builder reckons it's been around for years. The property manager happened to be also the selling agent. Maybe they were worried about communicating this to me, and decided to wait for 5 weeks?

The tenant reported this to the agent on 10 June. They had been there for 3-4 months. They left 2 weeks later with permission from the agent, but without my knowledge.

The builder proposed plumbing work costing around 1K.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Try to make lemonade from the lemons. Get the problems fixed and ready to rent again. I'd take the agent to tribunal unless they pay for what you've lost due to their ineptitude.

Move on with a new agent and push to have the waiting time waived or perhaps see if an new agent will give you a free month. It is not a huge amount if you pay two agents for an overlap month is it?

Marg4000 likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Very unlikely.

Most building inspections are visual only, and as most plumbing is hidden behind walls and below floors, faults would only possibly be found by a specific plumbing inspection.
    Marg

5. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I should stop being surprised that some people are completely incompetent, but I'm still surprised these types can stay in business!! :eek:

I would be requesting cancellation of notice period and change agent immediately. Report current company to OFT.

Does you contract say anything about level of service? This could potentially be your immediate out of your contract, and/or a way to try to recoup what you've lost. The PM contracts are pretty tight in most states and it is difficult to try to claim costs back, but thins is pure negligence and you'll now be out of pocket a substantial amount of money.

Who is being paid $700 to project manage? Is it the agent?

If the agent is project managing, what about you negotiate to pay $0 project management (if you're happy with the prices and tradespeople), $0 letting fee and then give notice. Not ideal as it means you're stuck with someone who is clearly incompetent, but it might help with finances in the short term.

wylie likes this.
  6. 8650

8650 Well-Known Member

In regards to the written complaints to the principal and PM they must respond to your compliant under OFT guidelines of complaints management.

I would give them a deadline to reply to your email then advise you will be addressing issue with OFT if deadline is not meant and seeking compensation through the OFT