Property manager lied about fixes?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Threebythree, 13th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Threebythree

Threebythree Active Member

So we get a call from PM to fix an issue and it turns out the issue was should have been fixed by the prior tenant which the PM said they yep, fixed, checked. From the time they said it was fixed, and when this call came in, was 6months.

turns out, most of the issues were not fixed, nor checked, thus the PM has lied. I wished I could just find an email which states it all has been fixed, it was all phone call which we accepted. in hindsight, it should of all been through emails...

anyways, to give an idea:
    1. 2x missing light bulbs
    2. power sock pulled out of wall
    3. deep gashes on the hardwood
    4. missing light covers
    5. scratches on doors from hanging door racks < to give context, its like they moved that rack over the door a million times in order to scratch off the paint...

I know I am ultimately responsible for this, however what recourse do I have with the PM?

Last edited: 13th Oct, 2019
  2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Was there an exit condition report from the last tenant, and an entry report for the current one?

Michael Mitchell and Archaon like this.
  3. Threebythree

the new tenant moved in quickly so limited down time thus exit & incoming were essentially the same.
    - didn't get a follow up exit report, agent said she went back to check, so we thought nothing more of it until the call to fix an issue..

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

If its on the original exit report, seems reasonable to go back to the agency and ask why this wasnt fixed or taken out of the previous tenants bond.

5. Threebythree

yes.. all the right questions. by then the previous tenant's bond was released.

there's more to this story such as the time elapsed which makes it more difficult (ie. the tenant called about issues 6mths after moving in). It wasn't big deal for them until they saw a wall sock popped out - hence we knew about the issues.

sorry if this wasn't clear. the joys of posting online and expecting mental telepathy

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Phone the PM and ask for an explanation.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Better still - email it so there is a record, or ask if you can record the conversation....

The Y-man

Dan Wood likes this.
  8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Quote..
    power sock pulled out of wall..

When you think about the above ,and if the tenants had children and something happened and that's after you stand eyeball too eyeball with the landlord insurance company you use as they inform you your not covered could well blow the whole investment and your life out of the water ..