Property manager issues and 28 day notice period

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by perthgal, 4th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. perthgal

perthgal Active Member

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice regarding my IP property management. IP is in Perth.

My property manager resigned, and I have been advised that the company is going through a restructure, so I don't have a property manager at present.

I have been told that once the restructure has been finalised there will be a team allocated to my property.

My previous property manager has not organised a maintenance job that reported in the last inspection in Feburary. They also did not advise the tenant that rent was increasing. There is now less than 60 days until the lease is up.

It is impossible to get hold of anyone to discuss my IP (repairs, rent, lease renewal) without a PM.

Has anyone had similar issues? Do these breach the contract? I want to change to a different PM company however have 28 day notice period.

Appreciate everyone's help.

M

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I believe many new property managers would take over and not charge through the waiting period. Heck, even if you pay them out the fees for the 28 days and get moved now to a better PM that would work.

3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

You'd generally have to argue they breached the contract seriously or fundamentally enough to justify termination. For a penalty free termination anyway.

Seems like it might not be enough so far?

Jarrad Mahon likes this.
  4. Jarrad Mahon

Jarrad Mahon Active Member

If your management authority has not expired you would need to cite that they have breached the contract. If there is only 60 days left and it correlates with the lease then they may just let you leave anyway. Probably best to find your new manager, then give notice, if they don’t release you then you can challenge them.

5. perthgal

perthgal Active Member

Thanks so much for the replies everyone.

My contract with the PM company isnt up until October 2022.

After talking with someone new at the company today he was very understanding and agreed that I have not had the services I have been paying for. He said he will terminate my contract with fees waived if I want to leave (would have been 50% of the management fees otherwise).

I do have to wait 28 days though but that's fine - I'm happy with this outcome!

Thankyou again

wylie, Barcelona and Shogun like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia