property manager directing correspondence to them

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Danielt25, 27th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Danielt25

Danielt25 Well-Known Member

hi, after a few phone calls to the body corporate I have been told my property manager emailed them back in April and asked them to direct all correspondence to them including levies to them. The body corporate then changed it on their end (without asking if I had agreed to this). The only reason I found out, was that I received my weekly disbursement but no monies, as the rent was being withheld to pay for the Body Corp levies of which a direct debit is already in place. According to the Body Corp, the email that was sent to them came from a generic email address "Info@" at the property manager's office, so no one put their name to it.

I don't want to create a fuss but it's seems quite odd to do this. I wonder what benefit the property manager would gain? Anyone else have this happen to them? Perhaps a disgruntled employee?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

The property manager is probably just trying to help you, tbh. Some owners prefer to have the PM pay the bills.
    Did you tick the box in your managing agreement?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Absolutely no benefit, you benefit by seeing the charges appear in your monthly & annual statements.

You should have informed the agent that you were paying this by DD and not via the rent.

Correspondence is often directed to the managing agent as they may need to contact the tenant eg for an annual fire safety inspection.

4. Danielt25

Danielt25 Well-Known Member

They've been the property manager since 2015. The RTA Form 6 from 2015 isn't ticked yes or no for levies to be paid by Agent. Anyway, the body corp is now back to sending me all correspondence. The direct debit wasn't cancelled by the agent.

5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I think it would be great if all my PMs could do this. I need to pull my finger out and make them do it.

6. Properwin

Properwin Well-Known Member

mine does.