NSW Property Manager asking for my ID

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Shawn, 18th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

Hi there,

Had a random email from my Property Manager over the weekend. We have two properties with them in NSW.

In this email they state that "Due to new regulations they now require a copy of our ID to be stored on file with the management agreement."

They are requesting that I email them this ID. Working in Financial Services (specifically in KYC) - I am conscious of how easy it is to sign up to AfterPay & ZIP and other FinTech services with just someone's driver's license..

2. Tom Cooper

Tom Cooper Well-Known Member Business Member

They are just doing their job, they should absolutely verify your ID. However you should never supply this sort of information by return email, always verify that you are sending it to the correct party, either by calling them to verify that they sent the request or by putting it in a separate email address, that is on your Management Authority.

Burramys, bmc and Michael Mitchell like this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Ask them what regulations. I haven’t been asked for any

Burramys and Michael Mitchell like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  5. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Always good to write the requesters details over the top like a watermark so if they ever get misplaced and appear somewhere they shouldn't you know where they originated from.

Terry_w likes this.
  6. Robert Chatsworth

Robert Chatsworth Well-Known Member

That's a great idea.

Don't know about others, but my property manager (one of the big agencies) is always sending viruses via email, so I assume they don't have very good data practices.

You may also want to ring them and ask what IT systems your ID will be stored on, and what measures they have taken to ensure it doesn't become public.

Michael Mitchell and gman65 like this.
  7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I have had that happen from a few agents too

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  8. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

Really? That’s a last thing you’d like to see where the PM is spamming your inbox. What’s the motivation to stick around with them?

9. Robert Chatsworth

Robert Chatsworth Well-Known Member

Yes. Looks like Terry has had the same above, so I suspect IT security is poor in a lot of the biggest agencies.

How do these franchises work, is IT security something the comes from head office, or do all the little satellite offices have their own? Whats the bet they log in as Admin?

10. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

Franchise may be given an option if they would like to choose to go with the same vendor as the head office, or chose their on vendor. Franchise mainly uses the brand name like Ray white, O'Brien etc but the principal usually is free to select the vendor/platforms based on how they want to run their business.

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

As tax agents we have been under increasing requirements to ID clients. From 1 July we will implement a far stricter requirement that we receive certain IDs and vet this. This is very onerous as we dont want to hold ID information to limit this being misused. So even its transmission and recording must be secure from internal or external misuse now or any future time. And we must also be mindful of "relationship fraud" if a husband seeks to act for wife for tax matters. We must received BOTH IDs independently. To access client records requires NINE seperate login data points and passwords, TWO sets of 2FA with my thumb print and while holding my phone and certain apps and more. Its a daily issue to login and stay logged in. My thumb print is wearing out I'm sure. And even then certain IP addresses are permitted so replacing devices is a further challenge. We also trialled geo fencing but it had some flaws based on one of our IT issues. Our cloud server host can move city locations so its IP address can change in a outage. They dont use fixed IP addresses either for another risk.

You cant assume agents all use simple logins etc. Some small businesses have exceptionally robust security.

12. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

@Mel Morgan isn't it a requirement for you southerners to hold ID for Landlords now?

13. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Nope - you still require ID. How else will the PM know that they're dealing with the owner not some scammer?

jared7825 likes this.