Property Management quick tip - Setting the Right Tenant Expectations

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Xenia, 30th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

In the property management industry, we call this the tenant induction process.

Once the right tenant has been selected the next step ensures that they are prepared for what is coming.

A copy of the residential tenancies act is given to the tenant as well as any relevant agency documents to explain how inspections are done and by whom, how to report repairs and maintenance.

Agents also explain to tenants how water invoicing is calculated and how to pay for water invoices and where. Also the importance of paying rent on time, how to pay rent and what time frames and most importantly how arrears control is handled within the office.

Inducting the tenant at the beginning of the tenancy will reduce any breaches of the lease later on. If tenant know up front that there are consequences to breaches, they are more likely to do the right thing.
    Everything must be explained up front clearly, do not ever leave a tenant guessing about what to do or assuming - make it crystal clear!

Rixter, MTR and Beanie Girl like this.
  2. 733

733 Well-Known Member

Great highlights Xenia! Setting expectations and boundaries at the outset is critical to ensure all parties accept their responsibilities and understand their rights

Rixter, MTR, Xenia and 1 other person like this.
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I think I have just broken the record for the longest tenant induction ever this week.
    Most tenants understand the first time and all good.

I was dealing with a couple in their 60s who have sold their house and renting for 12 months before buying a smaller one.

Their understanding of renting was zero - they are both doctors, great references but have never rented before.

I had to explain - you contact us for maintenance not the owner (this owner is extremely private).
    Don't worry about the owners bank details - trust account details here..

No if your grand daughter comes from Melbourne and stays with you for a weekend we do not put her on the lease.

Even after the lease was signed and bond and advance rent was paid - took hours, they rang me up in a panick to ensure the water was going to be connected - it was not mentioned to them by the utility connection company. Lol.

Absolutely gorgeous couple - they just needed to ensure they were doing all the right things.

MTR likes this.
  4. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

I'm interested in your approach if the (inherited) tenants' knowledge of English is not far above zero. I assume the tenant induction process is an ongoing, patient process??

MTR likes this.
  5. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Government translating services, free call.
    I hope this helps

MTR likes this.
  6. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Thanks @SeafordSunshine , yes, I understand they use translation services currently (tho not all the time). Biggest thing seems to be when something changes (eg rent, water bill comes in). They keep the place clean.

MTR likes this.
  7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Yes it's certainly longer for some tenants than others.
    Tenants can speak excellent English but the fact that they come from another country would make the induction process longer as they do not understand what is expected of them.

In some cultures, we also need to make it clear that bathrooms and toilets are not made to continuously splash water on the floor. Any damage caused is chargeable to the tenant.

MTR likes this.
  8. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

Lucky tiles work well against water. Oh, and the waterproofing membrane as well.