Property investment courses? Snake oil?

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by RyanB, 9th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RyanB

RyanB Well-Known Member

Can anyone suggest a property investment educational course that is worthwhile? I have been kicking around on SS and here for a while and learning all the time, but there is always something more to learn.

I think most courses are snake oil salesmen so wondering if anyone can suggest anything of substance or quality?

Thanks

Giuseppe likes this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

imho spend $400-$500 on property investment books (say 15) buy Aussie authors and study them, taking notes etc. Then ask questions you have on the forum. That would be an awesome property education imo that most people who invest in property in Australia don't have. If you did that and discuss on the forum, you will be miles ahead.

Michael Yardney, Margaret Lomas, Hellen Kollier, Paul Do, Steve McKnight, Jan Somers. that's enough. Get their books. just my opinion

Last edited: 9th Sep, 2015
  3. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

What Leo said each author has a different approach so you'll find the best to fit your requirements/needs whether it be cash flow or cg. Big fan of Steve knights but the strategy is well out-dated still good for motivation though.

legallyblonde, Sackie and Xenia like this.
  4. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Great book and only $20 which is great.

http://www.booktopia.com.au/the-inv...l?source=pla&gclid=CJKms4Kx6ccCFQN9vQodejEE8Q

I think paying for a course is excessive..why because I did it early on and I got a great folder on the different elements of the course... It's around somewhere I think(never opened it once I got it home.

Save your money...read,read and than devise a plan for that.

Sackie likes this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

6. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

Ideally you want to develop your own philosophy for investing and in order to do so, you really need to expose yourself to a number of different strategies. Like others have said, buy some books and have a read, doing a course is unnecessary and might make you narrow minded.

KayTea likes this.
  7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

bob shovel and Sackie like this.
  8. RyanB

RyanB Well-Known Member

Thats great advice everyone, thanks so much..

I will work my way through those authors leo, Any Must buy suggestions?

Im going to go down that path and load up a few $$$$ on books.

Post your fave!!

Thanks

9. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Agreed @Leo2413

It's one of about 30 in my collection thus far.;)

I liked this one as it has actions that you do as you read through the book which is great as it gives you something physical on completion rather than the just the authors viewpoint or their individual investment experience

Sackie likes this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Awesome mate! If all the newbies who have dreams of the 100k passive income and the like just read 1/3rd of what you have they would learn so much. I STILL don't understand how people can expect to become mega rich with property with minimal learning.

11. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

In this video prevention I have found the best way to have success in property investment EVER!!!

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

ahh... show you the money.....?

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I would also review some of the old somersoft threads, there are a few gems that may be helpful.

Some gurus ie Steve McKnight provide free seminars, maybe worth going to these, but of course at the end they will try to sell something.
    I like to go to market reviews, not necessarily have to buy product.

I would never have purchased in USA if I did not attend the free seminar that Steve MCKnight held in Perth. It's definately not all bad, just need to sift through and work out what may be of interest and worth attending

Also a thread on this topic on SS, may want to review

MTR:)

Last edited: 9th Sep, 2015
    Xenia likes this.
  14. RyanB

RyanB Well-Known Member

Thanks MTR
    i was kicking around somersoft for about 12 months quietly reading from the sidelines, There is truly a wealth of information. I need to compress it, analyse it, and act on what i right for me..
    Some time before 2020!!:p:p:p

15. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Like I said in another thread, if you are after actual examples and guidance of how to do developments, pay some professionals for a few hours of their time to grill them, rather than pay someone for their methodology.

If you are after motivation then the books listed are a great place to start.

bob shovel, Elives and larrylarry like this.
  16. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

I know that most members on here (and on SS) used to seriously bag out going to courses, seminars and "teaser" nights (designed to whet your appetite for paid courses) however I believe it's each to their own, in getting sufficiently motivated to take action. Some investors will NEVER get up off the couch or office chair and away from the PC and need something (and someone) concrete to get started in investment. Others are more self-motivated and able to sift through books, posts, blogs, emails to collate the information required to start.

Many years ago I attended courses, info nights etc including Peter Spann, Steve McKnight etc. There's always something to learn, despite how much you think you already know. Before you part with large sums of money, however, do your research and ensure the course and presenter/renovator/investor is reputable and has the track record to back them up. Not sure that all of them actually do, except in their own minds :D:rolleyes:

bob shovel, JohnPropChat and Terry_w like this.
  17. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

The problem with the Courses is not so much the Course; but the cost of it.

Here is free, and you will get pretty much all you need from this site.

But as Jacque said; the motivation from the Courses is strong; lots of RA, RA etc to kick you into action.

The other thing to consider about the cost of the Courses is this; say you spend $10k on the you-beaut bootcamp version of one; folks will say; OMG!! that's a RIPOFF!".

However; if you go out and buy an IP and make $10k in one year from it - you've paid for the Course, and you have the knowledge to do more of the same, forever.

That is one way to justify the expense.

Jacque likes this.
  18. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

The best property investment course is to actually buy property.

I would rather pay for a good BA than a property course.

19. House

House Well-Known Member

It really is all about action. You can read as many books and attend as many seminars as you like but if you don't follow through its pretty pointless.

Ryan, what strategy are you looking to go with?

Magnet likes this.
  20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Also, if it motivates the person to actually do something BECAUSE they paid for the course would be a good thing.

The worst would be pay and then do nothing.....

The Y-man

Bayview likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia