Property Investment Courses I Are they Worth the Investment?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Laney, 28th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KYUKOM

KYUKOM Member

Hi All,
    I'm new to property investment areas. I've done heaps of other courses and training for my work and business. Literally speaking, the courses and training are great tools to have confidence just in my opinion. However, value for the money-wise, its question marks depends on personality. As I mentioned that earlier I'm new to this area but I had attended Dymphna Bolt - I Love Real Estate seminar 7 or 8 years ago in Adelaide, but I didn't take the course. I did take a course for Amazon business 4 years later. surprisingly, I have met serval people who have done the course from D.Bolt and they were saying that the course was great but didn't work out as planned. I have always had Two question marks when I attend the seminars " how many people fail their investment after completing courses" " what is failure rate like to be". None of the course sellers would answer that question but will say it depends on.
    My strategy is to find the right courses that will save my time to have my own strategy and make a profit?
    BTW, it's hard to choose one out of hundreds of options these days.
    I will find out only one way after I've done something, unfortunately.

2. Kevbo

Kevbo Well-Known Member

I sometimes think that you cannot overthink an investment opportunity - go with the most current intel, consider posts on this forum, do some research on real estate websites in conjunction with property analytic tools - these in combination would be sufficient to help you make a reasonably good investment decision. If in doubt, use a local BA.

KYUKOM likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

After having done lots and lots of self development work over near 27 years of various sorts, the same rules apply.

Lack of implementation is usually the main "failure"

Unlearning "programs" that no longer serve us is the second "failure"

We all want variety but very few of us want change.............

ta
    rolf

Luca and KYUKOM like this.
  4. KYUKOM

KYUKOM Member

What does that mean Unlearning "Programs"? Such as?

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Sometimes simple things that we have taken on as " the truth" from early childhood with simple things like - if its sounds to be good to be true, it probably is or, a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush, and the all time classic of .........Better Safe than sorry

Often, when mentoring folks from corporate backgrounds, the number one rule needs to change from "who is responsible for this mess" to I dont care who is responsible, fix the problem first, and then if there is a systemic problem or person, fix it then. Blame culture causes poor client outcomes.

We all have these chinks, and mostly we dont recognise them.

We think we make decisions every day, but we really dont, our programs made them for us a long time ago, and sometimes, even often, those programs no longer serve us and we need to unlearn them and replace them with new servant programs

ta
    rolf

lixas4 and KYUKOM like this.
  6. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Were you brought up in an Asian education system? If so, the things you need to unlearn are: don't question anything and look for authority figures, don't ask Why...never ask Why STFU and do what the teacher says cause the teacher is never wrong, everything that can be learned will be learned at school, and the trick is to memorise everything...the more the better.

I noticed this is how my family from Asia were raised.

Always question Why. Authority figures suck. If you're told an "answer" but not allowed to know the rationale then that person is full of it and just parroting something they heard elsewhere and never questioned it themselves.

Memorisation isn't the key - adaptability and the willingness to figure it out even if it didn't come from a text book is.

Lateral thinking, innovation, creative solutions - don't just copy.

This is what I've been trying to get my parents to unlearn for decades now.

I'm constantly hearing my dad say "they didn't teach us this at school!". So ****ing what? That was 40 years ago, how are you still using that as excuse? Figure it out yourself then move the **** on.

I remember a Singaporean guy go nuts at a business teacher saying: don't teach me principles, show me how to make money - the step by step. He was looking for a textbook to follow. The fact that you're asking for courses makes me think you're doing the same.

These education systems that are all oriented around just memorising textbooks are terrible. When I see Asian parents send their kids to cram schools I just shake my head in disgust. You're raising a great bean counter I'm sure, but not the next Steve Jobs.

Last edited: 27th Oct, 2021
    Tyla, Galore, KYUKOM and 2 others like this.
  7. KYUKOM

KYUKOM Member

Thanks Rolf,

I got a clear understanding now the whole picture. I wasn't born nor graduated here in AU but have been here more than 13 years now but still lots of things to get it.

8. KYUKOM

KYUKOM Member

Sure JB,
    I've been living here since 2010 and still got Asian (South Korea) culture. As you mentioned above, it's not easy to unlearn systems when you are raised from different systems, but I'm sure that I'm more than a normal person. Thank you for your advanced explanation.

jaybean likes this.
  9. pattoman

pattoman Well-Known Member

Lol no. These are basically scams.

10. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

I'd suggest a few good books instead.

Some of my favs in no order are

How You Could Build a $10 Million Property Portfolio in just 10 Years by Peter Spann

FROM 0 TO 130 PROPERTIES IN 3.5 YEARS Steve McKnight
    or
    From 0 To 260+ Properties In 7 Years

How to get rich rewards in real estate in 3 years Phil Jones

The Wealth Power of Property By Brett Johnson, Fred Johnson (old book may not be available)

Yes I read M Yardney and Rich Dad and I think they both suk.
    Sure most of the info is here....scattered across hundreds of posts and many replies in between.

Last edited: 29th Oct, 2021
  11. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

$20k sounds to me a lot of money
    It doesn`t look you have big plans, probably buy another 1 / 2?

1) Make sure the plan is clear to you and family. Leaving the assets to the next gen? Riding a boom? Retire through property in 30 years?
    2) TIme poor and only 1/2 shots? Use a BA
    3) Lot of time, interest and passion? Learn on this forum, network with investors, read books. It`s all free and when you have a question you can search/post here, there are a lot of good and seasoned people happy to help.

12. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Likewise, can be tricky discerning if it was all "worth it" as nothing to compare to except own experience.

These are the words of a wise man.

13. Galore

Galore Member

Good one JB.
    Don't believe, question everything. I would say even the above mentioned 10 principles should be questioned too.
    It's all depend on the goal and journey to achieve that goal.

14. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Absolutely, but white knight away.

15. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I remember when I used to think they were a rip-off back when they were priced at $3k!

GenericName likes this.
  16. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

A few years back I did a TAFE course specific to property development in Adelaide with Peter Koulizos, and for someone who had not been down the path of development it was a great foundation of the steps, traps and legislative rules.

17. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm three months into working in China and you've summed up almost everyone I work with.