Property Investing Tips in a Changing Market..

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by sash, 11th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Although I agree.

But like some most of my portfolio is in Sydney and for more than 1 cycle my rentals have never gone backwards.

I have seen it before even in Bondi where post Olympics created a glut in the rental market.

My comments are if @euro73 primarly needs rental stability for theory to work well maybe it might.

It may not time will tell.

No one know the future not even @sash as much respect I have for his knowledge even he doesn't get it right some times.

If you look at the post in 2015 and Sydney. One will understand we are not always right. So being cocky on PC and shouting down a different opinion doesn't make you smarter.
    Screenshot_20180819-184545.png

icic and wooster like this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Ppl missing the Sydney boom ( who would have otherwise wanted to invest in Sydney) made a pretty woeful mistake. Huge . Signs were everywhere.

3. icic

icic Well-Known Member

The only certainty is uncertainty so I alway try to keep an open mind.
    The past have demonstrated everything is connected by a web of influence that we can not isolate the individual regional markets from each other, especially from a main market such as Sydney.
    If I am to invest in regional towns, the first thing I would do is look at the past behaviours. It might be different this time, but would be difficult to justify risk base on one's yet to be proven theory.

Last edited: 19th Aug, 2018
  4. icic

icic Well-Known Member

@Illusivedreams, another thing is that rental return is as dynamic as prices if not more so. The Sydney rental market is softening as we speak, My friend rented out his Castle hills home 2-3 years ago for about $900, Just recently he had to reduce it to $750 to get it leased out.

Another example was that 3 years, about 30 people line the streets for a rental apartment to open up. Just last Saturday, an almost identical apartment was showing for rental and no one was in it.

For one of my Brisbane properties I had to reduce rent from 600 to 550 a year and a half ago. Thankfully it has been stabilising but I imagine it will take a while before it gets back to that leave.

All I want to say is that it does not take much to shake the rental return either.

Kangabanga likes this.
  5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep.....looking back Sydney peaked in 2016...

You experience with rents is pretty mild.....

Lots properties in the Eastern suburbs and North shore where people are knocking off 100-150k.

Too many amateurs on this site who have no clue about cycles they have no experience....on what happens when a market like Sydney turns. This is very dangerous...as this when people loose serious money.

6. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Yeah, my rent reduction was nothing too dramatic. Also know many who has been burned by both dropping in value and rental return. The worst I've heard was one guy brought couple mining town properties base on its rental return and vacancy rate and thought it can't go too wrong! omfg!

7. clink

clink Well-Known Member

8. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Last edited: 22nd Aug, 2018
  9. euro73

10. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

So when are we buying H&L in brissy?

11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I will let you know when i get started with h&l there. Already have 7 in brissie.. and land tax is already a killer!

samiam and Toby like this.
  12. euro73

13. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I just wonder whether there will be a migration back to the city in five years? People are creatures of habit and love "home" wherever that may be.

Kevvy7 and Someguy like this.
  14. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

See it a lot just in Sydney suburbs people move west for affordability being able to get a better quality property at lower price but then a few years later find a way to move back closer to where they started

15. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I've read a few analysts on property economics that state that recently. People tend to migrate out of the city only to return. The country and 'burbs are not the perfect existence they were going for.