Property insurance rise of 40%

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by wylie, 14th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've just received insurance renewals for two IPs, both in Coorparoo.

Both with same company, with an increase of 40%.

I plan on calling and asking "please explain". I know we've had floods, fires etc, but those things are not really rare.

Anyone else seeing 40% increases in premiums?

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I'd call also ;)
    Insurance companies profits rely on people "who just pay' :p
    It pay's to shop around, not just to "pay the renewal" :D

It isn't really about insurance, it's about company profits :mad:

3. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

will ask around , but unless the bus expressway really altered the drainage in Coorparoo

that seems a big jump , not many bush-fires in Coorparoo in the last 10 years

have the land valuations rocketed ?? maybe they ( insurers ) will claim that is a reason

4. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Yeah just had a renewal notice for one of mine. The building insurance went from 500 to 800.

Did a comparison of other companies but they were more expensive. So yeah not sure what that's about.

Can understand landlord insurance but not sure why building would be any different

5. wylie

These are building and landlord together. I called. The two Coorparoo houses, no reduction possible.

A Holland Park house (not mine, but I'm authorised on the policy) they took off $173 during the call. They knocked off close to $200 from our vehicle insurance renewal from a different insurer, but if anyone under 30 drives it, not listed, no cover. So we will stick with current insurer and I called them next to see if I can do better on the car renewal. We have a dealer cover and if I go directly with the underwriter, we can get a better price.

Back to the call - they dropped $200 off another house, but that just means we'll likely be hit with a 40% increase in a month when it comes due.

I'm going to call around and see if I can do better. If I can, I'll consider moving, but it is a PITA having to move everything, spend hours on the phone answering dozens of questions. But I'll do it if the savings are worth it.

Annaelsa, Propin, Erida and 1 other person like this.
  6. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

7. wylie

@Dan Wood what percentage increase did you cop? And what suburb, if you are happy to share?

I thought it odd that Holland Park premium was able to be negotiated down, but not Coorparoo, next suburb over.

8. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Yes nearly 40% increase. I called and wasted 45 mins of my life. They are quoting “covid” making the premium go up o_O. Even after I play around (increasing excess, reducing building cost), I may only be saving $80/year :eek:
    I think due to flood, fire and covid, most insurance companies are not taking new policies which reduces competition in the market :(

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I think it may be a result of the Brisbane storms, the building boom and the lack of tradesmen.

Properties unroofed in storms 6 or so months ago are still unable to get roofs repaired, leading to greatly increased costs of repairs and associated costs.

Friend had roof damage (colorbond) last November, told it will still be months before any work can be done as her roof is watertight.

10. transit

transit Well-Known Member

Mine also went up recently but I managed to get the premiums down a little bit by increasing the excess to $1,000 and setting my contents back to the minimum of $5,000. Some of my contents were covered for $20,000 because they increased it by CPI over the years. I also reduced the cost to rebuild.

11. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

19% Landlord insurance only, 2 bedroom unit.

Zillmere QLD.

12. wylie

I heard from someone who had hail damage recently and the assessor says "new roof". That means solar panels come off and will be replaced by new ones, different size, so fixings need to be changed anyway. I didn't really understand why they need a new roof due to a few hail dents, but I understand that the broken paint and dents will eventually start to rust. They are also replacing two almost flat roofs that are not seen, but I guess the same reasoning applies about dents leading to rust down the track.

Repair bill was $75k and that's a few months ago. It will probably be more now with reported issues of finding a builder and price rises for materials.

They know someone else who had holes from hail in a laserlite roof on an external patio. Insurance fix quoted by a builder at $6.5k. While waiting for the quote, she got a local builder to quote $400 to replace.

This is surely a huge part of the reason our premiums are being increased so much. Some of this stuff is just a total rip off by builders.

It's always been known that you can have things fixed cheaper if the builder knows it won't be going through an insurer. Same thing with vehicle repairs. I know not all builders will load up the quote, but clearly it is very common.

13. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

regional QLD ~20% increase on last years, awaiting the second properties renewal

14. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Most of my premiums in the outer suburbs for B&C aren't really going up much at all, but every now and then one of them has hiked up. The Landlords insurance went up by about 20% across the board.

15. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Yes 40% increase for house and contents in camp hill with Youi. I changed insurance companies and got a much better price.

16. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Well-Known Member

Try doing a new online quote with the same insurer - I've done it multiple times and as it's a new policy the premium has come in significantly cheaper. Then just let the existing policy expire and have the new policy commence.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  17. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Just got mine from EBM. Unit in Brunswick, VIC. Minimal change.

18. wylie

I’ve fou
    I can save about half With Allianz and will post details when I’ve confirmed this (and double checked my quote is correct).

There is not much difference for our own PPOR but IPs are coming in around half (which is why I want to double check).

ChrisP73 and Dan Wood like this.