'Property girl' on the defensive

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Azazel, 23rd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

One article states that her new mortgage broking business has had 200 enquiries. Even if that figure is embellished and it's only 100 enquiries, I'm sure she doesn't give a damn what anyone here thinks.

bob shovel and Aaron Sice like this.
  2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hey Aaron, who are you replying to so we can get some context?

I noticed you used 'fact' there, is that subjective or objective?
    You could rephrase that and say you think she knows... and in your opinion she's a...
    Trailblazer in the circles she operates in? Really?

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Judging by her appearance on the morning show, she cares very much what people think in general. That's why she's trying to re-spin her story.
    Is she aware of a brand new RE forum? Who knows. You're probably right. She doesn't give a damn $$$

4. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

subjective / objective - relative to the position you view them from - ie context.

I have no opinion. I'm merely offering another avenue to view the situation from.

Maybe she is. Maybe she isn't. Who are you - or anyone else - to cut her down because you don't like what she's saying, or for some reason upset because of her interview?

This thread is alluding to the notion that she is "young", therefore isn't experienced.

I remember another person getting out there and giving it a red-hot go at a VERY young age and despite all public forum opposition, he has now done very well for himself.

Might be time to bite the tongue and step off.

Cruskits and JPS25 like this.
  5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

The thread isn't alluding to anything, you may be coming to that conclusion from something you've read elsewhere?
    The thread started as a light hearted comment on $200/mth haircuts.
    Other than that, it's calling out her BS story, which she is trying to re-spin.

You're probably right, you've said enough.

6. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Yes, this ^.

I think that all these rags to riches in 5 mins stories need to have that as the first disclaimer...how much equity do they have, as well as the overall portfolio value.

Not saying what she has done is not good; it's a great achievement to acquire that much by that age - most don't.

But it's a bit misleading; it gives folks the impression the subject in the story is wealthier than they actually are.

It's a bit like folks saying they have a profit in their business of $1mill per year....oh, wait; I forgot to add in the loan, the stock purchases, the wages,m the rent etc.

Azazel likes this.
  7. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

This thread is alluding to the fact that what little experience she does have is being over inflated into something which it is not. I don't recall people saying she was young therefore inexperienced, in fact I think I was the only one that posted an opinion that she has "very little life experience".

Her role was a relief admin position, this was then promoted as "Policy adviser to Bronwyn Bishop", this is not just a little embellishment, this is a serious overstatement. It's like a McDonalds kitchen hand claiming they are an adviser to the MD.

Add to that the conflicting stories of being given no help and...... being given help, I am not filled with confidence in the advice of people who feel the need to put such massive falsities behind their claims.

In all honesty, with the right help anyone that age could have a $2.4M property portfolio with $2M of mortgage against it. It's not special, just certain facts were altered to make it "look" special. The only thing I am now curious about is who altered the facts, Was it the young girl to look better than she does (although the story without these enhancements is still a good one and inspiring to other young people, there is no need to enhance it), or was it the journo to sell papers?

Let me ask you something in all seriousness, would you personally take advice from her knowing these things?

As I have stated before, good on her and i wish her every success, I personally would not seek the services of her company.

radson, aussieB, Azazel and 2 others like this.
  8. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

Spot on Dan.

as I have said earlier

"the media is clearly b**ting, the question remains whether it was only media or she fuelled part of the b**ting article. Credibility is a big thing in mortgage broking business, can't see she will do well if it is the latter."

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  9. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

A little bit of embellishment didn't seem to do Robert Kiyosaki any harm or underline his credibility .

Starting the thread of with the title " property girl on the defensive " and then this post
    Doesn't come across as

The view that really comes across

I thought this forum was about encouraging and celebrating achievement . Not nit picking .

Cliff

Last edited: 26th Jun, 2015
    Cruskits and Aaron Sice like this.
  10. Aaron Sice

@Dan Donoghue - she still has managed to grow a $2.4m portfolio. If it was a case of "anyone" can do, why aren't they?

How is that "nothing special" by the age of 24? I remember a time when I was geared to the hilt, I remember I was young too. Isn't that the time to do it? Only time will tell if her picks are able to generate CG for her.

Calling a CV into account over title embellishments doesn't detract from her RE ventures - the media will feed off anything in any way possible to generate a story of interest.

Peter_Tersteeg likes this.
  11. Dan Donoghue

Quote the full comment:

with the right help anyone that age could have a $2.4M property portfolio with $2M of mortgage against it. It's not special, just certain facts were altered to make it "look" special.

Like I said, anyone that age with the right help can do it, it's not special if anyone could do it. If she had battled the odds and done this from saving pocket money and not been given any help then yes it's special.............. oh wait, I see what they did there, bloody clever these newspapers aren't they ;).

The only reason more people don't do it is because they don't get the help that she got. Again, this is not a bad thing, good on her making the most of the GOOD situation she is in but not everyone has access to this, in fact few people actually do and if anything it is insulting to the people who don't have access to this level of help for her to claim she had none.

As I said before, good on her, very happy for her, wish her well and all that but why lie? her portfolio is impressive, so what if she had some help....... but that wouldn't sell her story would it and it certainly wouldn't give her company free advertising either.

We all have stories in our lives and they are all interesting to some people, the only stories I don't like are the fiction ones claiming to be biographies. This story could have been a good biography if they had of just stuck with the facts.

AaronR, wylie and Azazel like this.
  12. Aaron Sice

I agree @Dan Donoghue but who spun the information for the interview?

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  13. Dan Donoghue

That mate is the 2.4 million dollar question, I don't think we will ever get that answer :)

Phantom and Aaron Sice like this.
  14. Aaron Sice

quoted for truth.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  15. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

I agree with your comment See Change, however, the article is very misleading, it creates the impression that this girl is a super hero, being an advisor to a high profile politician at 20yrs age.

16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Comparing her to Robert Kiyosaki now. Ok.

Yet here you are nit picking, er, I mean 'reviewing' my posts... again.
    There's a word for that.

17. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

Someone should send her an invite to join this forum

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  18. Dan Donoghue

I think the problem some people have (or at least the problem I have with it) is that this "achievement" we are being shown is not real, we are being given a "rags to riches" story with the sole purpose of a) free marketing for a startup business with the only intent of earning someone a lot of business and b) inspiring others to believe they too can do this if they use this girls company.

She didn't do this on her own and to suggest to anyone in a less privileged situation that they can do this too is misleading and giving false hope.

I don't celebrate these things.

The story could have been "24 year old invests money wisely for a good start in life instead of throwing it all away on hookers and blow" that would have been a GREAT story, one that could inspire younger people, one that could show people that you are never too young to start and that the decisions you make young can set your future up quicker than you think. It could have inspired those who get a small inheritance at a younger age to do something worthy with the money.

Funnily enough what i have just written IS the same story just without the ********, and it's still an awesome story (in my eyes better) than the one in the paper.

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

@MRO That's actually a really good idea - she might learn something ;)

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  20. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

haha i messaged her last week on linkedin. i have asked a few questions to see how it all came about. see how we go.
    it is an impressive effort, i dont see the deposit from parents a big deal. and now has started as a broker... sounds like something i've read before, possibly from around here...

i think theres been enough, myinput not required. we'll seeif she drops in

Azazel likes this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.