'Property girl' on the defensive

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Azazel, 23rd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Me too pretty much. You must have pretty long hair by now? ;)
    And you've got 11 x $12 to save towards investing!

2. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I defended her on Somersoft when people were ripping into her.

She's making the most of her lot in life and clearly a smart marketer. Look at all the publicity.

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Steven Ryan With exposure comes attention, some of that will focus on the good and the bad.

4. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

What's the bad in this story?

5. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

If she had of just said im 24 this is my $2.3m portfolio and tjis is the business im starting up no one would have an issues. It's the fact that she added I did it all on my own with no handouts from my parents that people have issues with as she had quite clearly had a lot of help from her parents.

I prefer people get pulled up their ******** then just let them run with it. She has done well for herself there is no denying that.

AaronR, JMica, sumterrence and 7 others like this.
  6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

i was thinking of including it next loan app, i believe a 200/mth saving was mentioned so that means im ahead $2388!!um sure those nay sayer brokers will shoot me down;)

Azazel likes this.
  7. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

She clearly had a lot of help from her parents?

I disagree. Ask the brokers on this forum if it's rare for a parent to go guarantor. She has also claimed a lot of the 100k deposit she had was from business earnings. Unless someone has definitive proof this isn't the case I think I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. She also was given 1.5k per year as an allowance in school. That's allowance pretty small % of the 100k deposit, even if she did save every single dollar which is not likely.

bob shovel likes this.
  8. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Like I said it is pure speculation on my behalf (After reading the article!!!) and whilst I now realise as you have said it is Mortgage Brokering so not FP advice, I personally would not seek the services of this company and in all honesty I don't think I am alone in that.

I am also wary of the inconsistencies in the story.

"Aged just 20, she became a policy adviser to politician Bronwyn Bishop" from here: http://www.news.com.au/national/syd...ortfolio-aged-24/story-e6frfkp9-1227402551502

"As for her job with Bronwyn Bishop, it came out of her involvement with the Young Liberals and was a relief position which she said involved mainly admin." from here http://www.news.com.au/finance/real...-goes-nationwide/story-fndban6l-1227409974020

they are very different things, a policy adviser vs relief position for Admin. It begs the question is it the media spin or is she the one "inflating" reality, either way it doesn't give me confidence that I should use this persons services.

Don't get me wrong, Good on her and she will be a very rich young lady, I wish her all the best and every success possible to her but I personally would not commission her companies services to be my mortgage broker right now.

Beachy and Azazel like this.
  9. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

the media is clearly b**ting, the question remains whether it was only media or she fuelled part of the b**ting article.

Credibility is a big thing in mortgage broking business, can't see she will do well if it is the latter.

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Well spotted. People don't ring the admin recruitment company to get a temp for a Policy Advisor position, even for a 6 month contract.
    "Miss Brennan said she worked for Bronwyn Bishop as a relief adviser for around six months but that it wasn’t as glamorous as it sounds."

11. EK01

EK01 Well-Known Member

Please note - as constituents we are all policy advisors to our elected representatives. I can't repeat a lot of mine...and they hardly ever take it anyway!

12. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Certification doesn't mean squat.
    The FP certification is a joke.
    4 Open book exams and then you're qualified glorified sales person.
    (Sure not all FP's are like this, but so far out of all the FP's I've met, only less than 1% are good).

13. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

One more subject than a real estate sales bod & you know how trustworthy they are. ;)

Scott No Mates likes this.
  14. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

She's a member of the young Libs...they are all policy advisors....drawing a slightly long bow, but she's just using a bit of sales spin :)

Good luck to her, can't work out what the point of all the bleating is about.

15. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

I generally love real estate investment success stories, especially those who started young. Generally also, if you got a little bit of help from your parents, good for you- a lot of people get a lot of help from their parents but don't spend it nearly so wisely. However, if you do get help from your parents (eg going guarantor, inheritance, living at home), please don't go stating you received no help whatsoever.

My main issue with this story however is I don't find it particularly inspiring- taking stamp duty into account, how much equity does she actually have?

ej89, Beachy and Azazel like this.
  16. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

She giving it a go .

which is more than most people .

Good on her .

Cliff

17. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

You could make the same observation about every young investor. There's a continually lot of posts on Somersoft which look really impressive given the investor is young and has bought a bunch of properties in a short period of time. If they had to sell their multi million dollar portfolio tomorrow they probably wouldn't have much to show for it.

But that's not the real story is it? The real story is that instead of complaining about how hard it is to get into the property market, they've found a way to do it and they've built a significant foundation in a short period of time. They've worked hard and made a start. The equity position may not be much today, but give it 10 to 15 years. As Cliff said, it's more than most people.

The story is full of embellishments, that's human nature and there's probably an element of creative journalism there as well. The results are still impressive.

JPS25, neK, Coota9 and 2 others like this.
  18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

From what I gather from what others here have said, it's less of an issue with the creative journalism, and more with her embellishments, or distorted view of reality. And then trying to re-spin it. You learn something working for a politician I guess.

WattleIdo likes this.
  19. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

When you place yourself front and centre as a poster child then you need to be able to take the good with the bad and expect people to do some digging and questioning.

20. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

maybe you need to look at the context from which she is telling her story, instead of from your context.

you might see the fact that she actually does know a thing or two and in the 'life experience' circles she operates in, she's actually a trailblazer.

but hey, if she stumbles we can always cut her off at the knees like any good aussie does.

JPS25, See Change and bob shovel like this.