Property faults

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by ACTbuyer, 11th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ACTbuyer

ACTbuyer New Member

I’m looking at buying a house in Canberra’s inner north to rent out and eventually live in. The houses I’ve looked at are entry level properties and often seem to have some sort of building fault or unapproved structure... One house that I like is in a great suburb but has had some internal walls removed causing the ceiling to sag. The building report notes it as a minor fault only (and I didn’t notice it when I inspected it). Would this kind of fault put you off buying the house or is it just expected that most older houses will have issues of this kind?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

If you like it just factor the cost into your price. If you cant live with it, dont offer. You dont have to accept anything.

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

If the P&B says its minor, then fixing it is either not necc. or not super expensive.

Typically, a P&B will show a worse than reality outcome

ta
    rolf

Stoffo likes this.
  4. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Most older homes in Canberra have an unapproved ‘something’ in your house. If it worries you, call actpla and find out what is involved with getting it approved, make it a condition for the sale, include it in your price or move along to the next one.

5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

When I sold my previous place, most of the structures were approved. However, for the one which wasn't the buyer wanted me to reduce the price slightly. My counter offer was if they paid the full price, I'd get out the rattle gun and invite them to the bonfire. It worked.