Property do not have Sewerage Service Diagrams

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Klark Kent, 22nd Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Klark Kent

Klark Kent Member

2. No Probs

No Probs Well-Known Member

It would be possible to have a plumber locate the pipe work using CCTV and a locator if it was something that bothered you, I probably wouldn't worry about it unless you had problems in the future. Doesn't sound like to much of an issue to me.

3. Klark Kent

Klark Kent Member

Ta

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

How old is the house?

The plumber may not have completed the paper work after the build, call the people that look after plumbing compliance, is it dept fair trading now? @Scott No Mates ? They may know more

5. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

@Klark Kent pm the address and I can try to assist

6. Geelong Cable Locations

Geelong Cable Locations Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yes there are ways you can find where all the pipes are, but if you are just looking to buy it and nothing is broken then I wouldn't bother, if you like the place then go for it.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Fairy Trading now looks after these matters - (all the records of Sydney Water having been transferred).

8. Klark Kent

Klark Kent Member

Thanks, the house is built on 1996. The strange thing is that, the file show the inspect date is 19-07-04...how is possible? The house is almost ten years...

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I would ask my solicitor - the contract of sale must includea sewer diagram unless the property isn't connected.

This either rings alarm bells or an offer well below asking price to rectify.

bob shovel likes this.
  10. bob shovel

They are slow...

Might be dates when info got transferred? Or change of ownership at some stage?

11. Chilliblue

@Klark Kent have responded to your PM. Up to you if you wish to share.

12. RumpledElf

RumpledElf Well-Known Member

Are these diagrams compulsory in sales now or something? I thought it was a bit odd when I got one attached to my contract, it was completely blank. The property has no connections at all.

13. bob shovel

It may be the council or water authority updating to electric and logged every property in their database even if there's no info. Then at sale time, you get a copy of whats in the file

14. Chilliblue

The responsibility in Sydney has gone from Sydney Water to the Department of Fair Trading.

However, on saying that, properties from this particular one's age onwards, many builders simply never lodged the documentation so none will be available and this is going to be a growing concern as times moves on as there is no documentation.

@RumpledElf if the vendor contracted the builder for works, then they have the opportunity to have the paperwork lodged so it goes into the system.

15. RumpledElf

The Dial Before You Dig service uses the same records as this one? So same problem on old properties where nobody has formally lodged service locations in the system?

16. bob shovel

@RumpledElf worth doing but yeah likely won't come up with anything... But can show you what mains are nearby for your future connections

RumpledElf likes this.
  17. RumpledElf

We subdivided a block with a house built in 1910 a few years ago and nothing was in the system. We just poked around in the yard (by poking I mean digging a lot of small holes searching for pipes) until we found everything, and the subdivision ended up conditional on moving a garden tap and the septic tank a couple metres to the left, and the new property got an easement for the overhead power coming from the pole in the street to the original house. All of these requirements were simply from the council development guy coming out in the yard with us and checking out the services.

bob shovel likes this.