Property dispute - No recourse

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by David JOHNSON, 6th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. David JOHNSON

David JOHNSON Member

I really like Solution 1 and natural selection has worked well for years. I might have to run with Solution 3 and 4 at this stage.

But before I do, do you think there would be any weight in contacting my local member of parliament? Would they be able to coerce the Real Estate and Landlord to come around?

Or, do I just by-pass them all together until they get correspondence from the Supreme Court?

That would be the most fun.

2. David JOHNSON

David JOHNSON Member

The fan idea is about to come into play.

ellejay likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Whatever you do, he sounds like he's pretty aggressive with his words and to be sneaking around and turning off your water main and putting things into your pool. I'd call the police.

It's nice to ponder all the "get back at him" scenarios but reality is he's been game enough already to "get back at you" and I cannot imagine that will settle down as he seems to not give a toss about anyone other than himself.

I'd certainly call the police, the real estate agent and your local member for sure, as a start. I'd not do anything to aggravate the situation though.

significance and Redwing like this.
  4. David JOHNSON

David JOHNSON Member

The NCAT (NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal) were the very people who said I don't have a leg to stand on. (From the mouth of the Senior Registry Officer - Newcastle).

5. David JOHNSON

David JOHNSON Member

So, very true unfortunately. The real estate agent (property manager) has given him the 'green light' to continue what he has been doing. I think the local member might be the first point of call.

In fact, I'm going to draft the email to the local member right now.

6. David JOHNSON

David JOHNSON Member

He doesn't wear a mask, but I think no shirt and hat sideways accounts for safety. I'm seriously considering the use of an industrial fan.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  7. David JOHNSON

David JOHNSON Member

Well, I've just forwarded the same information to Sonia Honery MP for Wallsend. I will keep you all updated.

wylie likes this.
  8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Is NCAT the only jurisdiction you can take him to? See legal advice about civil remedies in the courts.

9. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Hi David

this case might help Bonic v Fieldair (Deniliquin) Pty Limited & Ors - NSW Caselaw

Tory of nuisance and negligence were pleased against the defendants. The Burnie port decision is instructive.

I haven’t read in detail but the plaintiffs claimed their agriculture was harmed by the spraying of weedicide. Tort of nuisance points to some intention on the part of the tortfeasor and negligence being unintended consequences.

EDIT: I was typing the above whilst travelling on the bus... the above case is pre Civil Liabilty Act 2002 so has some bearings on negligence as discussed in the above case. It seems to be tort of nuisance can be established, prima facie but to bring any court proceedings, one must contemplate what damages you might get. if the chemical has an adverse effect on your children, particularly the one with heart condition, and can be established, then damages can be measured. The Court I would think has to calculate what the deprivation of your enjoyment of your pool and space would be equivalent to in dollar terms.

This aspect must be considered in detail because going to court is expensive.

Last edited: 6th Mar, 2020
    d_walsh and Terry_w like this.
  10. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

You might have to think outside the box to deal with this idiot.

It's going to cost a heap to go the civil litigation route.

Go get a motorbike license, and buy yourself a bike of some kind for, say, half of what you would guess the legal avenue would cost, then join your local motorcycle enthusiasts club.

The stress of litigation shall be tempered by the joy of the open road.

Schedule a BBQ for you and your new motorbike buddies, with free parking in your backyard, coincidently when the idiot decides to practice his "artwork", and then point out to your new buddies that this idiot DGAF what they think about the new paintwork on their bikes.

And see what happens then.

TMNT, David JOHNSON and Guest like this.
  11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I wouldn't poke the hornets nest.
    If talking to him doesn't go well then I would write a letter to the neighbour outlining your son's issues and propose perhaps some compromises:

1. would he be willing to stick to hours (let's say school hours) to do his artwork so your child isn't affected
    2. would he be ok if you increased the height of the fence to stop paint getting into your pool area

if all else fails you could offer to pay his moving expenses and break lease expenses up to $5k to get him to go be someone else's problem

craigc, d_walsh, significance and 2 others like this.
  12. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Tough.

I would firstly try to work out a way to improve the relationship - be creative.

However, he has stated that this is a business - worksafe.....

Spray painting and powder coating

However, if you going down this path. I would have a deeper plan in place to deal with bad behaviour - i.e. speak to the police about the harassment and that you are worried that it might escalate - what are the options should that happen. e.g. AVO or something like that.

Last edited: 6th Mar, 2020
    significance likes this.
  13. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Edit: I re-read the OP post and he did note worksafe ... I am suggesting the inspectors.

14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Waste of time. State member has NOTHING to do with local govt issues and neigbourhood disputes which are a legal issue.

Legal advice will recommend how the notifications are served. Often accompanied with a letter from a solicitor advising on the issue and the recourse you intend to take. Served on owner, PM and the tenant and join them all in the action. A process server may not be ideal and it wont convey the true message. And a soliictor needs to be ready to seek injunction if they seek retribution.

The legal advice may caution the path you propose to take but seek conciliation at a CJC first.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.