Property Development Course?

Discussion in 'Development' started by neil-asher, 1st Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I would agree with Andrew. Get a good team and build a solid plan using experts. Come along to free session at end of month with bedev shahin me and others. Free and informative. We have many mutual clients and guide them. All are different.

Learning to be a builder, tax adviser, broker, dev etc all take years. Its impossible to become a expert doing any course. Would you do your own dentistry after a 3 week course? Even builders need experts in the team.

I regularly discuss trusts with PCers and tell them why a trust to save land tax in qld isnt always right. A good adviser will save you money by charging a fee. Choose carefully and enquire.

albanga and neil-asher like this.
  2. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

can anyone recommend any books on property development ? when I first started looking at property investment I borrowed the content of my local library to get a range of views on property investment. Now I would like to look into development but would like a bit of direction on useful authors.

3. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Try the 2 by Ron Forlee. One being- Australian Residential Property Development: A Step-by-Step Guide for Investors.

Logan likes this.
  4. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

There are 3 parts to property developing; Tax, Finance and the Development itself (feasibility, location, resales, market, etc). You should get familiar with each component or at least have a professional take care of a particular component.

This is a really good (and free) resource:

http://bedeveloper.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Be_Developer_Guide.pdf

We have also done a one pager on the finance side of things:

https://propertychat.com.au/community/threads/development-finance-guide.305/

Logan likes this.
  5. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Agree with most of the others that a course is probably an expensive way to learn a little bit. I have read some development books as well but to be honest I could not recite you a single sentence of information I retained (one I did read in Bali at Jimbiran Bay whilst sipping 10 bin tangs so could explain a lot).

Until you get your feet wet though Anything you learn without practice will soon be lost. So I would reccommend starting small. Do you have a splitter block? I learnt a heck of a lot from subdividing my PPOR which is an inexpensive way to learn as delays do not hurt you too much due to living in the land.

Whilst this is a far call from developing multi dwellings I know more now than any book or course would ever teach me. It may also not be the best use of your land but again it allows you to take time, your not paying holding costs as you fiddle around. I spent 6 months fighting with council over a second crossover that 2 independent town planners told me I have no chance. A 7 page report lady and a deep understanding of council requirements and I won. The result was the experience, knowledge and probably 50k more value as there is now no common land. If I was paying holding costs no chance would I have bothered doing all that.

SerenityNow likes this.
  6. LloydThomas

LloydThomas Active Member

@sanj ,@Westminster i am in Perth for the weekend. Not sure if you have some time for a quick coffee and development chat. PM if you have sometime. Cheers

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

This weekend? You're in luck. There is a Perth meetup on Saturday if you want to get a good spread of ideas. Come for a long coffee and lunch and development chat.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Can do this weekend, u staying centrally?

9. LloydThomas

LloydThomas Active Member

I am in Bayswater. Can you do Saturday morning?

10. ottg

ottg Well-Known Member

Thank you for this link and on the same website is a handy feasibility calculator!

11. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I also did it a few years back and flew to Melbourne for the 3 day boot camp.

I believe it was worthwhile bu you do get to a point where more information can be detrimental to your progress unless you are applying the knowledge.

Sackie likes this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Good point and I agree. I think there comes a point where 'too much' info can be overwhelming to the point that you never take action simply from being scared to death. Ideally imo the course is great for those who are ready right at the time they take the course. So they do the course and then take action straight away. I don't see much point in doing this course if you know you wont be ready for another 24 months.

Colin Rice likes this.