Property Development Course?

Discussion in 'Development' started by neil-asher, 1st Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. neil-asher

neil-asher Member

Hi All

I'm a big believer in educating myself and learning from great people who've trodden the road before me. I like the idea of standing on the shoulder of giants :)

To that end I'm looking at doing a course to teach me more about developments.

There are 3 courses that I'm considering, one in Sydney, one in Melbourne and another has a preview tonight that I'm going to in Chatswood.

Has anyone done a developing course that they thought was great?

So this thread does not turn into a promotion (always self promoters lurking on these forums in my experience :D, not that there's anything wrong with self promotion I'm the donald trump of nerds ;P) could you PM me if you've done a course that taught you more about developing or if you have a mate who's done a course that you've heard great things about.

Thanks in advance!

Neil

2. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

There's a meeting in Sydney end of the month.
    Check it out.

3. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Promoting can be dealt with by the forum rules. Better to post here rather than pm so others with an interest can benefit too.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Last edited: 2nd Oct, 2015
    380 and neil-asher like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Bob Anderson has a good course (as long as someone is willing to take action) I did it some years ago so I am not sure if its still around but I assume it is. Cost me at the time.. I think about 4k. The return I got from it...well...lets just say I personally found it well worth it :)

Colin Rice and Cards like this.
  6. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@neil-asher

Forget, Peter, Bob, Simon,etc

PC and somersoft can teach you almost everything you need to know about property investing/development.

@MTR, @Shahin_Afarin ,@sanj ,@Westminster, @OC1, Rockstar (SS) are some of experienced developers on forum (members who has done successful multipal developments) comes to mind.

As @Ace in the Hole said network with like minded property developers and you will learn lot more then those courses combined.

I ended up educating a forum member who attended Bob A course and in return he offered me to give Bob A course notes.... no thank you, was the reply.:)

There is some resource on our website that you may find it useful!

My 2c worth!

Last edited: 1st Oct, 2015
    alexm likes this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I found the course really useful and helpful, that's for sure.

Last edited: 1st Oct, 2015
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Thanks Leo but I'm probably not the best fit for @neil-asher if he wants to develop in Sydney as I know little about all the town planning laws there.

@neil-asher I think the MBA one door would get you some good information. Also check if the REA licensing body of NSW holds any town planning for REA courses as they are also quite good.

Then add in lots of networking with local developers via the PC meetups and forums and you will learn heaps.

neil-asher and Sackie like this.
  10. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

What are you looking to get out of the course?

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Looking to get the moths out of my wallet ;)

12. jsoe000

jsoe000 Well-Known Member

I know there are plenty of masters and talents in this forum (and previously SS) who's done loads of development.
    Just my 2 cents:
    When I originally started in property investment and had zero idea about development, rather than bothering forum members, I bought Carly Crutchfield DVDs and course materials second hand from Ebay. Putting goss and media sensation on Carly aside, I find her materials very useful for beginners to give you a foundation / idea of what it's all about (A-Z theories with practical examples).
    I went to Cherie Barber's short courses too to get more hands-on feaso and reno ideas.
    And then I read and read and read SS forum about success and horror stories, and ask forum members for help/opinion when it's action time.

13. neil-asher

neil-asher Member

14. neil-asher

neil-asher Member

Hi Andrew

I'm a systems guy, I'm great at online marketing and I can source deals no problem. so I'm really looking for the nuts and bolts.... checklists, things to avoid, how to lay out IM's for finance that sort of thing.

15. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Cert iv building and construction. If you are going to do a lot of developing it might be worthwhile doing the builders licence. Teaches you everything.

Sackie and neil-asher like this.
  16. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

I'd suggest that you're money might be better spent paying for an hour or 2 with a builder, a mortgage broker and the like, maybe even a planner (and I'm not touting for business)

You are more likely to get an unbiased picture of the potential pitfalls and issues that you will face, rather than a promise that by giving them X thousand they will make you rich.

3354 and neil-asher like this.
  17. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

This is good advice.
    What works in theory doesn't always play out in practice.
    Doing the above is still not first hand practical experience, but the next best thing.
    I've always been an advocate of learning through practice primarily, rather than theory.

Dangsta and neil-asher like this.
  18. neil-asher

neil-asher Member

Andrew I thinks that's solid advice, thanks mate

19. superace

superace Active Member

Be prepared that a course is never going to teach you it all in one sitting. I've done 2 such courses and over 2 years, i've had to match it with a lot of somersoft/forum reading, networking, meetups and regular mentoring catchups to get to where i am now. what i'm trying to say is that your strategy in development will change and so does your learning to match it.

neil-asher likes this.
  20. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

And a lot of it will also go over your head - happens in any course due to information overload.

superace, albanga and neil-asher like this.