Property dashboard

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Mezza, 23rd Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mezza

Mezza Active Member

Hi All

I am in the process of building a property dashboard to help me have a summary view of my portfolio performance.

Outside of the normal KPIs (ie yield, LVR, cash flow) are there any other metrics people find useful to track/follow their portfolio?

Thanks
    Mez

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

How will it help you make better decisions?

3. Mezza

Mezza Active Member

Sorry don't understand question. Are you asking how will creating a dashboard help me make better decisions or more metrics?

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

the choice of metrics should be based on how it helps decision making.

5. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

I can understand how a dashboard would be nice, but for most mum and dad investors it would be overkill given the small number of data points and long time between changes to a portfolio. If you are a regular buyer or have a bigger portfolio then the value of the dashboard would be higher. If the purpose is to inform buying decisions then the metrics could include both actual cash flow and servicing rate cash flow, total equity, available buffer funds, equity available for finance (ie an "up to 80%" figure etc), anything that will tell you when you are ready for another purchase based on your risk profile. Also try cumulative equity growth on each property over time, IRR for each property etc so you have a sense of when to sell an underperformer.

6. Mezza

Mezza Active Member

Thank you for these tips. They are helpful.

Yes the primary reason for the dashboard is to monitor current portfolio but also assist in tracking when to buy next.

7. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

How are you actually building it? Excel with manual inputs? API? Using a browser based dashboard platform?

8. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

My personal view on these sort of detailed number crunching is that the time and effort involved would be better spent getting to know the market and comparable properties.

I don't think properties are like shares that can be tracked in any useful way like this.

9. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Good idea for a dashboard
    I am looking at creating one to improve returns too
    Comparing rates, lease reviews etc

10. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

in addition I’d also suggest taxable status (ie tax gain/loss). Calculating the cashflow with the addition of non-cash entries such as depreciation can be helpful for working out payg adjustments and any end of year adjustments you may want to make.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.