Property courses - worth it?

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by JJD, 7th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JJD

JJD New Member

Hi, I'm currently educating myself in various aspects of property investment (with some but limited experience), through reading and sites such as this. I'm also considering whether to pay for a course. I would love to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons of different courses and whether you think the 'pro's' can be achieved independently through reading and research. I feel confident that alot of the theory of property development strategies can be gained from reading widely on the subject (without going on a course) but the practical tools (e.g insights and templates for costs for executing specific strategies such as subdivisions) and mentoring seem attractive. I'm very interested to hear your thoughts. Regards,

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Not worth it

3. JJD

JJD New Member

Hi Terry, thanks for the reply, can you offer any insight or further comment to explain why

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What are you wanting to get out of a course?

Do you think that it will give you the tools to achieve your goals?

What do you think that you will get from a short/long/expensive course vs freely available info on this and other websites?

5. JJD

JJD New Member

Thanks for the reply, these are good questions that are relevant and I'm aware of. If you have any insight to the pro's and con's of specific courses versus alternate sources of building knowledge it would be good to hear them.

6. Chris s

Chris s Active Member

I listened to a lot of pocasts and read some books, seemed to work for me. Regular Podcasts help keep me focused on my goals and keep me up to date on current issues.
    Property couch, Margaret Lomas etc.

7. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Not all courses will be bad, but I would strongly recommend to stay away from anything where the course isn't the highest level they offer. If there's a higher offer, then the course won't be teaching you everything they know and they'll try and likely upsell a mentorship or whatnot on top.
    Search for Mike Winnet on YouTube. He has a great 10 minute video called "The Contrepreneur Formula Exposed".
    Again, not all courses will be like that, but many will be.

Pingu1988 and ellejay like this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Formal qualifications eg real estate, building, project management, town planning, trades licence, drafting etc all take time and can cost $X0,000

Spruikers courses/mentoring etc cost $$ and often of dubious value, not formally recognised.

Terry_w likes this.