Property could fall 30%- LOL

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Ummm, 14th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

What's your prediction

1. The only way is up

21 vote(s)
    12.7%
  2. 12month plateau then boom

81 vote(s)
    48.8%
  3. 24 month slow grind up then mega boom

56 vote(s)
    33.7%
  4. 6 week doldrums and then Super mega boom

8 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

The property was sold just over 1.5 :cool:
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-carlingford-133769262

2. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

That's what the market is whether like it or not!
    Didnt get it - The Chief said "Nah"

3. investor37

investor37 Active Member

I can't see why at some stage we can't allow immigration with tight checks and quarantine. If businesses rely on skilled OS workers, then they can pay for the quarantine period. Anyone entering the country would have a check prior to boarding at departure, and at landing. It will happen at some stage later this year.

I think we may be in for a decline followed by an 18-24 month stalling period. I'd anticipate more young people would move back home, share accommodation and the like putting stress on rental properties especially in cities. But then again who has that magic crystal ball.

C-mac and wylie like this.
  4. investor37

investor37 Active Member

Won't this force hand on sales? Or do you anticipate that people will be ready to buy at market rates or higher. No doubt people are going to be forced to sell if there is a lack of demand for rentals, but who is going to buy them?

5. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

6. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

I think the risk is also if you travel to another country and then they have an outbreak and close there international boarders then you could be stuck there at your cost for as long as it takes. A 3 week holiday could turn out to be a 12 month disaster.

7. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

How many does it affect? What countries are involved? What is this worth to the economy? What are the costs of implementing it? What is the cost to the economy if it goes badly wrong?

Many questions to ask and answer before any decision is able to be taken. This is not a simplistic matter with significant consequences should it go wrong. Opening borders either to departures or arrivals should be a judgement call based on some evidence and if the risk is too great for the reward, why take the chance?

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Leaving Australia | COVID-19 and the border

States:
    If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. You can apply online but you must meet at least one of the following: your travel is essential for the conduct of critical industries and business (including export and import industries)

The Y-man

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think these 2 comments are meant to be in another thread (travel thread)

10. Melbourne_guy

You are right but it wasn't deliberate honest :D. I was only responding to the thread that was there at the time I started composing the post - I'm sure that it will be moved in due course (and this post deleted).:)

MWI likes this.
  11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I have moved a significant number of posts to the travel thread.

Travel

I did post the one regarding DFAT as it is business related AND may have an impact on economy which may then affect (ok so it's a pretty long way) prop prices...

The Y-man

Last edited: 5th Jul, 2020
  12. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

If rental vacancy forces rents lower as we are seeing, this wont' necessarily impact the purchase prices. Yields are a relative concept: so if rental yields fall as interest rates simultaneously fall and the relationship between yield and rates is maintained, then prices don't have to fall to re-balance. I would suggest interest rates have fallen below where they needed to go to balance buyers and sellers, and the fall in yield.

13. investor37

investor37 Active Member

What about people who are below 10% capital, or even 15%? I'm not even sure what the numbers are

14. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

Those people are in trouble, unless they have great incomes and serviceability.

investor37 likes this.
  15. investor37

investor37 Active Member

I have been anxious to buy another property even before I get my current build done. But I'm cautiously waiting now.

After my build I'm looking at 67.5%. Knowing if I couldn't rent out either I'd still comfortably pay the loans. Realistically in this climate I don't think its a great idea going over 80%. It's not like 2000 where we could max out at 95% knowing growth was outstripping savings and interest on loans.

16. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

I think it will lower prices. Most people are looking for those magic numbers and if the rent part of those numbers gets lower but the property price doesn't drop then smart investors won't buy. They will have to add to much to cover the mortage payments.

Antoni0 likes this.
  17. KFC_8

KFC_8 Active Member

18. DueDiligence

DueDiligence Well-Known Member

“We all want to avoid any form of a cliff, so this is all about how do we make sure we achieve an orderly transition,"

We .. as in the big 4..
    Avoid any form of a cliff.... that we created in the last few years.. that puts our capital... and our underwriters at risk.

Fake morality at work.

19. Melbourne_guy

Moving forward, will the banks be as keen and eager to approve mortgage loans based on the same income multiple of previous years? Particularly the last 12-18 months when it was relaxed after the last Federal election. Changes to this alone as was demonstrated, had a large effect on property affordability and prices. Coupled with everything else.....

Cia likes this.
  20. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

In 12 months time...

This is the last time we are going to extend loan deferrals 4 months. And this time we really mean it.

Last edited: 8th Jul, 2020
    Property Baron and Anchor like this.