Property Clock

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by euro73, 12th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 1.01.49 PM.png

2. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

Wow Sydney still a rising market? Ok

highlighter likes this.
  3. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    LOL!
    I don't know how they have Melbourne as peak and Sydney as rising. You can still buy free standing properties <20km out of the CBD in Melbourne for 400k (Broadmeadows). With 400k in Sydney you're priced out of Penrith ffs.

highlighter likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I cant read this unfortunately

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

My guess is the person who put this together owns a bucket load of properties in Syd and his messing with everyone.... beware of the dwarf and property clocks:p

Perthguy likes this.
  6. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Its forecast growth not absolute numbers.

7. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Lol at gold coasts rankings. I would put it more at 7 o'clock than where they have it.

Everything at 6 o'clock looks spot on to me though.

Sezy22 likes this.
  8. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

HTW becoming more and more irrelevant.

9. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

How do you put Mt. Gambier/Warrnambool on this, and not Geelong?! :rolleyes:

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Some may be interested in this interpretation (Sam Saggers).. Extract

The easiest way to understand property cycles is to use a property clock. If you use a normal analogue clock you can reference where we are in a cycle.

[​IMG]
    The clock has hands; we use the hands to determine where we are in the cycle.

The peak is at 12, and 6 o’clock is the bottom.

‘Slide’ sits at 2 o’clock, which follows a market high and is when the market begins to cool.

A good sign that a market is in the ‘slide’ period is that values are beginning to slow by 5–10%. This period normally lasts about a year; however, at this point people are in denial about the market’s viability. Don’t be afraid to leave the market at this time, even though everyone else appears to be sticking it out. Otherwise known as the start of the slowdown, this usually goes on for a year and is accompanied by denial as a sentiment condition.

‘Trough’ sits at 4 o’clock and is easily recognised as a falling market. At this point, fear and desperation permeate the marketplace, with values floating above the CPI (Consumer Price Index) at a 3–4% growth rate.

It can take up to five years to work through this cycle, but if you’ve been watching the markets you won’t have to worry about this stage. Sometimes people assume the market has ‘bottomed out’ and will buy in this stage although the market has further to fall. In what is otherwise known as a general slowdown, approaching the bottom, the market psychology is fear and desperation.

‘Bottom’ of the market is at 6 o’clock – a great time to buy! This time on the property clock is often referred to as an ‘opportunity market’ as it is easy to buy at a discount from panicked sellers. The corresponding psychology is capitulation.

When a market has hit rock bottom, it will be sitting still. There will be a small volume of sales and lots of great opportunities to achieve discounts from desperate vendors. At this point the market sentiment is one of resignation, which normally lasts about a year.

This does represent a great time to buy, and for those investors willing to gamble that the bottom really has arrived, it’s possible to achieve amazing results. However, as investors we typically try to catch the market as it’s starting to rise, coming off the bottom.

The ‘Rising’ market is at 8 o’clock – the absolute best time to buy for most novice investors. While buying at 6 o’clock is great for discounts, often in a rising market valuers are still looking to the past for data and will value the houses even lower, and because the market is actually rising you can realise your profit a lot faster.

To do this we keep an eye on capital growth in the area, even drilling down to the suburbs, looking for a solid 2.5% growth per quarter, totalling 10% in a year’s time. This is a strong indicator that the market is moving in the right direction. This period lasts anywhere from one to three years. Once the market has achieved its first 5–10% growth in the first year, we know this is a great time to buy.

Otherwise known as the start of recovery and a rising market, the market indicators are easy to read and they point towards growth, which is already happening with more certain to follow. This generally lasts for three years, and the feelings are of hope and optimism.

Signs of a rising market:
    • Interstate investors investing in the area (will push prices up)
    • Auction clearance rates in excess of 50%
    • Local investors beginning to return to the market
    The market is ‘Hot’ at 10 o’clock and should be avoided for property purchases. Prices will be shooting up quickly, which is great if you have a property in the market, but it means that the demand is high and people will be scrambling to get a property.

This is when people are willing to negotiate a lot higher than the asking price. Also known as approaching peak, the expansion has occurred and all buyers are believers. This is a fantastic market for selling but a poor one for buying. It lasts for about a year, and the psychology is excitement and thrill.

Signs of a hot market, which typically lasts about a year:
    • Everyone is excited and talking about the area
    • Time on the market is very short
    • Vendors consistently receive their asking price, or even more
    BOOM is at 12, which means you should not be buying, but it’s is a great time to sell. Obvious signs of a boom are lots of interest from the media and rampant growth for three years in a row. Otherwise known as market peak, this is the ceiling on market growth within any normal cycle. Its length is roughly six months and its corresponding psychology is euphoria.

Always remember: The A-class buyers buy at the bottom of the market. B-class buyers buy in a rising market and C-class buyers buy at the top of the market. The A-class buyers sell to the C-class buyers, and the C-class buyers take the 12 o’clock to 5 o’clock loss in the market.

Therefore, you should buy between 5 o’clock and 9 o’clock on the property clock, as anything outside of this isn’t a wise investment.

CU@THETOP, RetireRich101 and ndpjai like this.
  11. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Same, I also notice that Hervey Bay has been "start or recovery" for about 18 months now, it's a bloody long start :p

Toon likes this.
  12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Well, Sydney was at the top at around the APRA changes time, it went back to rising when rates were cut & at first I was thinking what ??? but then it became clear Sydney was indeed again rising, and has continued to do so.

Lets see what all the talk of rate rises does between now and March next year.

13. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Good interpretation, do you have a link to the full article by Sam for further reading?

14. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

So Perth is around 5 o'clock then? ;) :)

Sonamic likes this.
  15. Citycat88

Citycat88 Well-Known Member

And the clock hand has been jammed there for a long time.

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Well tap the glass or change the battery.

Cactus likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sorry Dave...just tried googling, cant locate it perhaps you can? its 2013 article that is why I did not post the link, outdated

18. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I think their thinking is that Melbourne has more supply than Sydney, especially with all the inner-city apartments. Plus, the middle ring has been going strong for a while now.
    They mustn't factor in the outer suburbs so much but Frankston - and I imagine other outer suburbs - is just hitting its stride now. Also, the talk about inner city Melbourne has been going on for years but there's still no crash there yet. Time will tell.

19. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

RetireRich101 and MTR like this.
  20. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

It's just laying dormant waiting for you to jump in ;)

Dan Donoghue likes this.