Property chat election time!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Noobieboy, 14th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

I’m mock voting for:

Poll closed 21st Apr, 2019.
  1. Liberal/National

56 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. Labor

21 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Green

6 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. PHON

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. SFF

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. PUA

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Damn - no online voting ... looks like I've got to toddle down to the early polling booth

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My wife left Australia yesterday, just too early to register for a mail vote. She has to toddle down to her local embassy, in the week before.

Lizzie likes this.
  3. geoffw

The latest Newspoll had Labor only 2 points ahead (51 to 49) on 2pp. Sportsbet odds for Labor have weakened in recent weeks, now 1.33 from 1.14, with Coalition down to 3.3.

4. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Poor misunderstood Pee-wee.

The irony of someone who accused Turnbull of not having enough political nous, getting comprehensively rogered at a leadership ballot that he thinks he orchestrated is just sublime. ScoMo showed him how it's done - behind the scenes, keep your hands clean and find a fall guy who drinks his own bathwater to do the killing for you. Then Bradbury your way to the finish line.

I have no sympathy for Dutton. He's just another shouty troglodyte with no vision other than personal empire building. Home Affairs is a pretty good example of that at the ministerial level. Keep in mind that he wanted that 'worst job in the country' because it was probably the second most powerful after PM.

He also wanted to privatise visa processing which from a national security perspective is just insane.

I think he knows he's cooked - already sold off his Canberra apartment

Perp and Lizzie like this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I think because a lot of punters simply do not like Shorten. Several I have spoken to would vote Labor if Penny or Tanya or Albo were in the top job - but not Shorten

Perp and Angel like this.
  6. geoffw

The leader is always going to be the one in the spotlight, and the other party is always going to be exploiting any perceived weaknesses.

I would have thought that the leader should be less of a concern here than in the US.

Personally, I think the dividend imputation is causing problems with the older voters. While negative gearing and CGT might hit higher income people more, dividend imputation will hit potentially more lower-income people, Labor's heartland.

kierank and balwoges like this.
  7. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Arggg...***** me no end when I hear that. You don't vote for the prime minister, you vote for your local member. If they wanted a president they should have voted yes to a republic years ago, except John Howard rigged it to split the republic movement.

8. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I say vote for the party. Members come and go, and may have little influence Know the party and vote for that

LibGS likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hope for Liberal still alive.

Redwood and kierank like this.
  10. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Indeed ...
    Feels like Labour are trying to buy their way in to Government. Free this and free that ...

Both sides are hopeless though, no vision or plan for the future of the country.

Handyandy, HUGH72 and Player like this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I totally agree - I vote for the party, not the person. Sadly, a lot of people will vote for Clive due to similar like/dislike spin similar to the like/dislike of Shorten or Scomo

However, glad I won't be voting for this party ... who's top married-dedicated-family-man Senate candidate was caught groping a stripper on a recent USA trip ... One Nation sleeze strikes again

‘Family man’ Senate candidate filmed groping dancer in US strip club

Last edited: 29th Apr, 2019
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree with your sentiments . I vote liberal not because they are great but because id rather keep more of my hard earned money than less with a labor gov.

Both sides aren't great at all but labor's fundamental ideology to me is just unacceptable to ever get my vote .

MTR, HUGH72, Player and 3 others like this.
  13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I dont know - Many of us voted Liberal some years ago and the country got Abbott. It's been going downhill since then.

Lizzie likes this.
  14. geoffw

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

16. geoffw

So One Nation's Steve Dickson was ok to continue as a candidate after being sprung trying to solicit donations from the NRA, but has been forced to resign after being sprung at a strip club. Does this say something about what the public thinks is important in Australia?

An interesting typo - possibly a Freudian slip in the last line of his statement:
    Screenshot_20190501-084617.png

17. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

You think you have problems. Canberra now has three electorates so we now have the opportunity to put an additional politician on the payroll. I can only apologise for imposing this on the rest of Australia.

I intensely dislike one particular candidate for the Senate for allowing his religious views to oppose good public policy and social equity. Irrespective of my opinion on any of the parties policies I cannot in good conscious place this candidate anywhere but last on the ballot when I cast my vote.

18. geoffw

He's now been disendorsed, and rightly so.

I don't know about foot in mouth so much as a lot of work being done by journalists in digging up what people have said.

His remarks were a lot worse than another candidate's views that private schools are better than government schools.

19. geoffw

20. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Yeah! :( I will only vote for the incumbent government because the alternative have never scared me more :eek:

Francesco and Sackie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.