Property chat election time!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Noobieboy, 14th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

I’m mock voting for:

Poll closed 21st Apr, 2019.
  1. Liberal/National

56 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. Labor

21 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Green

6 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. PHON

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. SFF

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. PUA

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

When capital gains tax was first introduced, the capital gain was reduced by the rate of inflation. While that was fair, it became a bit complex, and the 50% rule was introduced.

I thought that was really generous. The problem for me was that it then meant I had to pay provisional tax in the following year - I do t think this is necessary now. It also triggered big student loan payments.

Reducing the amount of capital gain by a flat rate annually - say 5% - would make it simpler than the original, and a little fairer.

Marg4000 likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Especially taking it away from low income investors below the tax threshold to give tax concessions for people's incomes starting at $25,000 (just above the threshold).

None of the Labor people I spoke to could acknowledge this. They said that Australia could not afford this free gift any more (although they could afford tax cuts to people who actually earned enough to pay tax). And I was called a wealthy retiree. Which is incorrect on two counts. I'm not at all wealthy (thanks to the guy who Stoke $400k from me). And I can't yet afford to retire. I'm doing study so that I can find a job.

Last edited: 21st May, 2019
    truong, LibGS, Toon and 3 others like this.
  3. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

My (with little knowledge, I admit) reading of things is that this policy has cost a lot of people a lot of money by encouraging them to put all their money in high-yielding Aussie shares, income at the expense of CG. ASX finally got back to pre-GFC levels yesterday, S&P and Dow Jones have all but doubled in that time. You'd need some sort of dividend reinvested index for a proper comparison.

Marg4000 likes this.
  4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I believe:
    1. People who voted Labor or are Labor members should work until they die.
    2. People who voted Greens or are Green members should not be allowed to have children.
    3. Rant ...
    4. Rant ...
    Election is over. Let’s all accept the result and move on.

Good time to debate policies again is about 30 months away.

Sackie, Toon, Codie and 6 others like this.
  5. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

That might be a bit of a stretch. It’s true that the US has outperformed in the recent decade. But this policy was introduced in 2000. Check market returns over 20 years. ASX has outperformed US.

Yes they had the tech bubble, so it distorts the result. Ditto our mining boom from 2003-07.

Either way you can argue the results are misleading. Our companies have historically paid higher dividends than US, which because of their own tax system favours growth.

Total long term returns for each market have been similar over the very long term (100 years), ultimately each market has its turn in the sun.

6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Not really, was trying to point out is odd, at least too many here.

I am not that worried about people holding opposing views, or nonsense ones.

Have spoken too quite a few rusted on, and some suspected rusted on labour voters, who all told me how much they disliked shorten himself and many of the policies.

Anyway, is not just us here, the country has spoken, your view is not a majority.

Toon, MikeyBallarat and kierank like this.
  7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

:D

kierank likes this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I just watched last night's QandA on the ABC. I wanted to throw a brick at my TV within the first 5 minutes. I laboured through the show, and now i have some opinions about Mr Chambers. I suspect the poor guy was just a puppet saying whatever he had been instructed to say with no sign of any spontaneity.

Perthguy likes this.
  9. qak

qak Well-Known Member

That sounds familiar!

Is Bill Shorten the world's most loyal politician?

marty998 likes this.
  10. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

That shows how poorly the electorate understands our system of democracy, like they're voting in some beauty pageant ...

I'm talking policy and you're attacking people because they vote for a party. Big difference.
    Each to their own but there is a politics section here, feel free not to participate.

LibGS and Lizzie like this.
  11. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

You completely mis-understood and mis-interpreted my post.

Now your posts make sense. It looks like I am not the only one you are misunderstanding and misinterpreting.

Sounds very similar to that Chris Bowen quote:- “If you don’t like our policies, don’t vote for us”.

Look where that got them.

truong, Sackie, Toon and 6 others like this.
  12. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

If people cared about other future generations they would vote anyone but liberal or nationals (green, alp etc).., perhaps they do care but see it as someone else's problem, or just care about more tax concessions to line their pockets...how much did the environment factor into your vote? How much did fairness...because it's not fair that younger people will have less so that well retirees can have more imo.

LibGS likes this.
  13. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Wondering what a 'retirement tax' actually is? Read this

It needs to be fixed as it will continue to snow ball ...

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I appreciate that Labor did something to keep the economy going nine years ago but it was so shortsighted. Insulation in houses that caused more problems than it solved. School sheds that cost more than two houses to build (four uprights and a roof, nothing more).

Perhaps it saved Australia from a recession, and if so, then it was probably worth it, but how much better could those billions have been spent? Perhaps it had to be short term, quick turnaround spending, but it seems Liberals accumulate funds, governments change and Labor spends (wastes?) the surplus.

It seems neither of the big two parties are willing to put in decent money, decisions or planning for long term infrastructure. They simply want to get through three years without being ousted at the next election so they don't do anything much that is "big" or "brave" or will take longer than the current term. They play it safe. That is my opinion anyway.

truong, Toon, Marg4000 and 4 others like this.
  15. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

IMO the 2018 Victoria state election would tend to suggest the opposite, with the Labor landslide being helped by a number of delivered projects: Mernda rail, level crossing removals, including the pilloried Skyrail being positively received by most, Tulla widening etc. And there are lots more happening, principally Metro tunnel, which won't be finished until well after Daniel Andrews has gone.

16. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Um...that's exactly what Labor did and they got smashed for it - detailed policy, costed and put out there . They got themselves Hewsoned ... Which in some respects is fair given Keating did the same. But you can now count on no opposition doing big idea stuff or trying to correct the largess of previous governments.

17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

What about swing voters? What do we do?

Regardless - I'll probably work in some form until I die ... totally bored brainless otherwise :D

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I feel your frustration - climate change is the elephant in the room, and there is a portion of society that won't wake up until the air is unbreathable - the water is undrinkable - and they realise they can't eat money.

The cannot be a price on retaining the only planet we have - and for the LNP to keep harping on about the economic cost ignores the cost of "not" doing.

I simply think the ALP went about it the wrong way. I still voted for them, because the LNP offered a significantly worse scenario - but the ALP policy was flawed by threatening to "take away" without offering anything in return ... and the Greens were nothing more than a protest caravan, waving placards with no solutions

With or without government - consumers and private industry are moving on. The government can either keep up, or ignore and then end up in a panic trying to catch up.

Imagine what an amazing country we could've been if ALP had invested in the future - during the GFC - instead of inflaming a "big screen tv" scramble

LibGS and geoffw like this.
  19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I did specifically say "both of the big two". They are not much different in many respects.

Lizzie likes this.
  20. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Happy with that. One person's vital services are another's gov waste. Reduce gov revenue by 50% and I can guarantee you we would figure out what's really vital.

Agree. Better policy would be to remove all tax on contributions, income and CGT on super in accumulation and then tax all withdrawals at same rate as individuals. So simple.

See above agree but accumulation must be tax free to encourage savings.

Oh, and don't get me started on people that have more than adequate income but don't save for their retirement and make "lifestyle choices" and then expect other tax payers to support them when they are no longer able or willing to support themselves

Last edited: 21st May, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.