Property chat election time!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Noobieboy, 14th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

I’m mock voting for:

Poll closed 21st Apr, 2019.
  1. Liberal/National

56 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. Labor

21 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Green

6 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. PHON

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. SFF

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. PUA

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The grandfathering was explained very well - and the Libs played on that.

No matter. Democracy has spoken - no need to rake over or gloat smugly - time to get on with what needs doing. I've got two property purchases settling in 3 weeks ...

Codie likes this.
  3. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Must be a new record. 2 days to break an election promise.

ScoMo admits it is unlikely parliament can be recalled in time to pass the legislation required to amend the tax tables for 2019, so that the increased Low and Middle Income tax offset can be included in this years tax returns (up to $1080).

Oh well, the budget will be billions better off... will help his surplus commitment in 2020 :)

Lizzie and geoffw like this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Franking credit changes were NOT grandfathered for all, just some.
    Marg

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Those tax cuts were never promised to be backdated 12 months. No election promise ever is.

The intention is (and always was) that they apply from 1st July, 2019. If the parliament does not sit before then, leglislation can be backdated to that date.
    Marg

6. marty998

Attached Files:

qak likes this.
  7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

To be fair to ScoMo, he's probably right.

The election needs to be finalised before parliament can be called. Counting of the senate can take up to 4 weeks. That doesn't leave much time.

There are other parts of the legislation along with the tax cuts. If parts of it are excluded by the senate, the tax cuts may not happen at all.

Sackie, Toon, qak and 2 others like this.
  8. geoffw

While I've quoted this article elsehwere, it was in a shares forum:
    Massive swings against Labor in franking credit seats

And as @Nodrog pointed out there, if Labor had proposed a cap of say $10,000 "They would have still gotten the bulk of their revenue with a limited cap. That would have ensured only the real target, the wealthy, were hit."

This was always my argument against it. Many people on a low income were going to be hit, sometimes hard. I'm a Labor supporter, but I couldn't support this policy this time around, and it cost Labor a vote. My preferences went to Labor in the lower house, but went to my party of choice in the upper.

As my daughter pointed out, the proposed changes would have affected her had they been in effect. She got Medicare shares when they were given to members, and has never sold them. While she is earning, there is no issue. But when she was unemployed, her tax refund gave her a very useful boost when she needed it most.

Sackie, Toon, Perthguy and 2 others like this.
  9. marty998

I don’t think anyone would be as forgiving if Labor promised it and couldn’t deliver.

This is Morrison’s fault. It was in his budget, and he called the election at the time he wanted. He knew when writs would be returned and how long the senate count takes.

It’s a broken promise and should be called out as such.

10. geoffw

11. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks franking credits were grandfathered has no understanding of this policy.

@TSK and @Lizzie, if you believe this post a link.

MikeyBallarat and Perthguy like this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I was talking the property grandfathering ...

13. turk

turk Well-Known Member

I read it that you were talking about franking credits as this was the section of TSK's post that you quoted in your reply.

[

But did it...it was all grandfathered. How many people with outside of this group would it have affected. Franking credit refunds are major revenue drain and it needs to be fixed, current mob won't because they caused the issue in the First place.

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

My bad - shoot me

15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Refund of excess franking credits had bipartisan support. The "cuurent mob" are no more responsibile for the "issue" than Labor, who also voted for the policy. In case you missed it:

From Hansard

The then Shadow Treasurer, the Hon Simon Crean, MP, stated:

Although imputation credits can be used to reduce an individual's or a superannuation fund's income tax liability to nil, excess credits were of no value to taxpayers. This bill proposes to refund to taxpayers any excess imputation of credits that may be left after offsetting the credits against their income tax liability.

The classic example of such a situation is a low-income person who earns a little investment income—for example, a full rate age pensioner. They face no income tax liability on their income and therefore cannot obtain the benefit of the excess franking credits attached to the small amount of dividend income they receive.

Under this proposal, they will obtain a refund of their income tax from the Taxation Office, representing the excess imputation credits. Labor included this proposal in our taxation policy prior to the last election.

Therefore, we have no difficulty supporting the proposal because it is our policy. It builds on the major reform accomplished by Labor almost 15 years ago and it improves the current taxation situation faced by low income investors, especially retired Australians.

Toon, MikeyBallarat and qak like this.
  16. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Yeap, and they tried to fix it but the government made it into a sound bite - retiree tax. Cuts will be made to vital services so that you can continue to you your financially irresponsible franking credits especially if you're a retiree.

LibGS and Lizzie like this.
  17. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

They caused it by reducing the tax rate to effectively zero for retirees.

18. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

For the record - I believe retirees should be taxed at the same rate as everyone else and capital gains tax concessions should be removed. And I don't mind paying tax - it provides the services to that make this country so livable.

19. Perthguy

I am going to ask for evidence to back up that claim. It sounds wrong to me. Happy to be corrected .

In any case, people pay tax to contribute money to super, then have that money locked away for decades. I don't think it is reasonable to tax people for withdrawing money from super. It's like double taxation.

MikeyBallarat and Angel like this.
  20. Perthguy

It's easy to throw around labels and names and claim a policy is irresponsible.

Full disclosure: I do not benefit from the policy to refund exceess franking credits and nor does anyone in my family.

I'll turn it around and quote Crean:

it improves the current taxation situation faced by low income investors, especially retired Australians.
    Personally I think it is irresponsible to take money away from low income investors and that is why this policy was rejected by the Australian public on the weekend. The fact that we are still arguing about it is absurd.

Toon, kierank and geoffw like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.