Property calculator to crunch the number ?

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by HBK, 27th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. HBK

HBK Well-Known Member

Has anyone created somthing where we can put in different purchase prices different intrest rates and rents , somthing to crunch the numbers in basically?

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

A calculator?

But if you want something to hold onto, you could use an excel spreadsheat.

Jingo likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Or a piece of paper if you want tangible.

Jingo and skater like this.
  4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I put this together so I could clearly show clients what the various costs associated with purchasing a property are.

Please note that it does not calculate the stamp duty and other costs (I'm working on that). There are plenty of online resources to calculate these figures yourself.

It's not designed to show cash flow after rental income (I'll consider adding this), but it shouldn't take much effort to add a few more calculations to give some estimates on this.

Attached Files:

Jingo and bmc like this.
  5. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

6. HBK

HBK Well-Known Member

Thats what i meant a excel spread sheet
    Do you have one you created?

7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

We have a free one for client use in our tax pack. Its useful for modelling some basic tax issues surrounding ownership and tax outcomes and leverage etc.

Its simple for a reason. We dont consider any such calculators as a reliable projection and modelling tool. Many are highly misleading and inaccurate. Hence keeping it simple for basic modelling is always wise. The very best modelling software is the original Somersoft PIA. (Property Investment Analysis). It is highly technical and capable of many tweaks but the complexity is use rises.

One of the bigggest failings in all software is it assumes linear growth. Growth is never linear. In reality there may be periods of decline, then low and high periods followed by periods of retraction. Mosts people enter growth numbers like 8% or more. I have seen a few use 20% in the past few years which is not logical. Usually such high growth periods are of short duration and are followed by decline or rettraction or stalled values. Then change in rents is also impossible to predict. Many people use large numbers like 8% for that too which when its linear and continuously compounded is not realistic.

Our excel worksheet doenst seek to model value changes and capital gains as we consider it the high risk arena for property spruikers

Attached Files:

Last edited: 28th Jun, 2022