VIC property built in 80s building standard & new rental compliance check

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Rockstar123, 3rd May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Rockstar123

Rockstar123 Active Member

With the new rental compliance coming in VIC, my understanding is the distance between the range hood to your cooktop must be 600mm, someone told me this was first introduced in 1996.

My Question is, do old buildings built in 1980 have to meet this 600mm distance? My is 585mm and has been built that way from the start and all neighbour units have the exact same configuration for the distance. No one had died or injured every living in the place before. I cant see WHY I must pull down my overhead cabinets to make this crazy 600mm gap!!

Anyone knows if this compliance affect property built before 1996 and had no improvement/renovation done in this period? The property still been kept well. not run down.

2. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I believe there are different distances for gas and electric cook tops with gas cook tops requiring 600mm or more depending on the manufacturers specifications of the extractor hood. Unless you are changing the type of cooktop (eg electric to gas) then there should be no need to adjust the upper cabinet.

Tom Rivera and Rockstar123 like this.