property aspect - do you care???

Discussion in 'Development' started by Peta Notari, 21st Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Hmm. Ideally I suppose a crescent shaped property with the utilities / minimum windows on the west facing wall, if such a building could be designed. The weather (storms) in Bris Vegas come from the South and West, best to keep a building's back to it - check the buildings in Moorooka still with tarps from the hailstorm!

And the afternoon sun can be horrible. Tenants will move.

2. Peta Notari

Peta Notari Well-Known Member

Hi all - thanks for your replies....what if the front of the house (which is west facing) only has a double garage, entry and a 5th bedroom (smaller room more possibly an office)???

The kitchen, living areas, kids retreat and other bedrooms are at the rear.

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Without knowing anything else, it sounds like the best way to orientate that house!

4. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

The problem isn't so much orientation but poor house design.

Scott No Mates and wylie like this.
  5. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

Q. When you refer to a house as north facing, are you referring to the front as facing north?

6. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes.

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Perfect!

8. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

They may in fact hype it as due to something to do with Feng Shui rules North facing lots are "better". I deal with Chinese/Asian buyers a lot and that seems to be the general consensus.
    So if you can buy a Notth facing block and a number 8 on the letter box.....you'll be laughing.

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

North east to get the best of both Summer breezes and not the western sun was the catch cry when I was a kid back in a galaxy far far away

10. Peta Notari

Hi are you suggesting west facing lots in general or this particular one with garage, entry and 5th bedroom/ study at the front facing west?

11. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Mine is north facing but No. 4. No competitors there!

Natedog and Kashmir like this.
  12. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

West facing in general. The one with the garage etc is proper house design for such a lot.

See it all the time, particularly in project homes. Huge 2 storey brick walls facing due west with tiny 450mm eaves and large windows. Such a poor outcome for energy efficiency and inappropriate for the climate.

There's a reason houses with large verandahs were popular. They work in this climate.

Investpro and sanj like this.
  13. Peta Notari

Do verandahs on north facing lots prohibit light into the front of the house?

With this west facing one then, is it safe to assume that the rear bedrooms and living areas would be starved of light as its a westerly aspect or is this just from a heat point of view?

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think there is some overthinking going on here. Every house (unless built with a hill behind) has some western sun. How the house is designed is crucial. Our house faces North-West. We have a covered deck/verandah that stops the sun hitting the glass. It was very hot before we added it. Our bedroom also faces the same way but also faces north-east on one side (corner bedroom). Once we closed lined curtains it made a big difference, but swapping them for louvres made it even better. With the front and side windows open, we get a fantastic breeze. Our whole house has great airflow as the whole front is windows and french doors (mostly completely in shade due to the verandah roof). So the western sun doesn't make our house hot at all.

Without the covered deck... very different story. Also, our pool and back patio and kitchen and more living rooms are at the back so on a hot afternoon, they are where we spend all our time anyway.

So don't discount a western facing living room if there are measures taken with building design, trees, shade structures or internal layout that work with the sun.

Don't forget that on the south side of Brisbane anything with a million dollar view also will likely face (at least partially) west.

Investpro, WattleIdo and AndrewTDP like this.
  15. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

If it's a rental I don't really mind if the deal ticks the right boxes. If the house is hotter than normal due to the direction it is facing, I make sure there are enough air conditioners through out the house to keep the tenants comfortable.

However with my PPOR the property aspect was a strong consideration when I was looking for a place to purchase.

16. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

A lot depends on the layout of the house. The ideal aspect is for the main living areas to face north.
    Marg

17. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I agree...
    I would mostly see what works for you and that you are comfortable - that takes into account layout, design , shading etc...I wouldnt single handedly say one direction is automatically better than the other without considering all these other things more. However, all things being equal, a N/NE will rent/sell quicker than one with a more undesirable orientation. I expect this to hold greater sway in the future [ going purely based on the increasing hype I'm seeing on agents advertisements...]. purely based on observations...maybe some of the RE agents on this forum can give their views...

18. Peta Notari

Thanks all. What about at easterly facing property lol?

19. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

What about a north facing block with the number 35. 3+5= 8. Any luck there? Haha

20. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

With houses you can plant trees or redesign. With units you may have no choice so aspect and design are crucial

wylie likes this.