Property agents unite to fight negative gearing crackdown

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sackie, 12th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gary176

gary176 Well-Known Member

When did I say that? I was just responding to the guy who said you are only suppose to give opinion if u have a vested interests..

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Not directed at anyone.

Millions of people worldwide have been making trillions off capital growth of real estate through cycles. And suddenly, we are to believe this will, or should end, and we should just focus on rents...

Fascinating stuff.

Propertunity and Perthguy like this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

More millions have made trillions off real estate with no negative gearing - just because something has been done in the past doesn't mean it needs to continue into the future. Many millions make trillions off renting to long term tenants (eg Europe with 10 - 20 year leases), so why not here? In the US they pay no CG if the profits are rolled into another property so why not here?

The only guarantee in life is change - in a global society we need to look globally, see what works best in other countries and adopt those practices ... or are you only focused on what's best for Sackie, rather than what's best for society as a whole?

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Do we make individual financial decisions based on personal advice or general advice which may bit apply to our own circumstances?

MWI, Toon, Angel and 2 others like this.
  5. Herbert

Herbert Well-Known Member

A house is just a consumer durable, the idea that housing can increase in value ahead of inflation and wages for ever, giving ever increasing capital gains is an idiocy. where is the logical conclusion, houses costing billions? Apart from that, where is the productive value? a circle of people selling assets to each other for ever increasing prices does not really seem the basis for a competitive world economy. In fact, increasing property and rental prices just make doing business here less competitive.

I guess the old adage from Upton Sinclair still rings true, "It's difficult to get a man to understand something if his salary depends on his not understanding it"

TSK likes this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

At the time of decision, one makes a decision based on the circumstances at the time - if those circumstances change then one may make a different decision.

Doesn't mean we retain the status quo to the detriment of society as a whole ... it means we change our game plan as the rules change

7. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Where did Sackie say house ? If people cant afford a big piece of land they will buy a smaller piece of land or land in a cheaper location. People who buy prime real estate don't rely on wage growth to do it many don't . Inflation helps pay off realestate that is why people borrow. Land has always increased in value mostly at av 8% p/a. and long term always will. It is not always bought for present productive value ,especially high priced land. Ever heard of Location or lifestyle or desirable .

Sackie likes this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm too lazy to debate these things. But @Fargo said it well. Each to their own. I'm just focused on making money.

kierank likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

When it comes to investment decisions, I'm primarily concerned with myself . To base your investment decisions on what's best for the wider society is insanity

Last edited: 12th Apr, 2019
    craigc, Toon, Bender12 and 2 others like this.
  10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Sounds just like mediscare which was quite effective

kierank likes this.
  11. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Its a problem facing many advanced economies face as house prices have risen considerably faster than incomes over the last 40 years , most affected are the middle class.
    Australian is not alone in this area , and as we are finding out it starts to drag the whole economy down with it.

12. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

If ALP gets in and there is a recession, BS and his goons will certainly be blaming the LNP, no matter how long it happens after the election :D.

Sackie likes this.
  13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I thought we are already in a recession but the govt is avoiding using the R word.

Lizzie likes this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I agree - the decisions are yours to make within the rules of the day. Government legislation is not put in place to line the pockets of investors to the detriment of others in society - otherwise the vast majority of us would still be trapped in serfdom or at the mercy of slum landlords.

The role of a democratic government is to provide a framework to protect the vulnerable from the powerful and to a basic standard of living and opportunity equality to all citizens. Something that seems to have been widely forgotten in the wake of modern self-centred capitalist greed

http://www.civiced.org/pdfs/books/ElementsOfDemocracy/Elements_Subsection3.pdf

15. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Thank you, I’ve been trying to track down this quote for ages!

16. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Not true. It just means somebody is not a completely selfish self-centred individual I.e I choose to invest in ethical super over normal super...rate of return is comparable.

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Apr, 2019
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

No argument there, and that's exactly what I do. Abide by the laws we have.

kierank likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If this forum ever substantially starts to embody the approach to investing which says investments should only be made based on what's the best outcomes for the wider society. That's the day I'll saddle my horse and ride off into the night never to return.

craigc, MWI, Toon and 1 other person like this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

**** hope. Lets pray! :D

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Apr, 2019
    kierank likes this.
  20. gary176

gary176 Well-Known Member

The same way libs are still blaming labor for deficit despite its doubled under their watch in 6 years of them in Govt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.