Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Properties in straight T junctions (bad luck?)

Discussion in 'General Property Chat' started by Samj, 11th Apr, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

I have seen some people are not interested in properties on T junctions. Got to know that specially Chinese believes they bring bad luck. A quick research showed that such properties are sold fairly cheaper than other neighbour properties and some are staying on market for longer. Have you heard/experienced anything on that?

2. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

I think they're considered inferior because of increased noise at the intersection. There's also the fear of potentially having a vehicle ending up in your living room.

3. Jacque

Jacque Buyers Agent and Bookworm, Sydney Business Member

Please do share what "quick research" you used to come to this conclusion? I'd be curious to know!

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Greater risk of accident, noise (from burn outs etc), high beam headlights through house windows etc etc

5. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

I've heard this too from a real estate agent (although he was a real estate agent...)

I think its less to do with an accident and more to do with lights shining into your house from the cars headlight at night.

6. Bender12

Bender12 Active Member

Chinese say its bad feng shui. All the unlucky chi or whatever it's called flows from the traffic directly into your house. I didn't go ahead with 2 purchases over the years because of this reason.

I don't believe that stuff but being chinese, my family and relatives will blame the house if something unlucky happens to me and nag me into selling it etc

7. hpresident

hpresident Well-Known Member

Taiwanese here. Big no no for me but not because of feng shui but common sense. Although if you ask my parents who are more traditional they would never buy such property.
    For me T junction properties maybe slightly cheaper but CG are often lower too. Think about it this way 2 blocks of land block N being a normal block. block T being end of t junction block. Current value of N is 300k and T is 280k. In 10yrs time N is worth 600k and how much do you think T would be worth? Not 580k (nor 560k), anyone willing to fork out 600k is not looking at the 20-40k discount for the inferior land.

8. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

Pardon for my ignorance but what does CG mean?

9. MC1

MC1 Active Member

Capital Growth

When looking for a property in a suburb for my future ppor I avoided plenty of properties on T Junctions.

10. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

Do they believe they have a bad influence to the tenant or owner of the property? Just wondering if they are not bad for IP.

I guess CG difference is the same? If you buy it at a discounted price at the first place...

11. Bender12

Bender12 Active Member

Not sure if it will affect the owner but they say it will affect people that live there. My sister told me she knew 2 different people that lived long term in T Junction houses. The first one died from cancer and the other had a string of bad luck like car accidents etc.

12. Xiao Hui

Xiao Hui Well-Known Member

My dad is a Taiwanese too, schooled under old-fashion Chinese traditions.

He would avoid buying houses on T junction, land that slope downwards from road and houses that have number 4 (means death!) as house or unit number.

So far, he has performed well in house purchases/investing.

13. neK

neK Well-Known Member

My PPR is at a T junction, no issues here. It was one of the cheapest houses in the area.
    I can see the headlights from cars at night if i happen to be standing in my hallway, but that's about it (but that's only because I have frosted glass on top of my front door).

I have no intention to sell it, and the valuers haven't seem to mark it down from an equity release perspective, so no issues so far.

Only part i don't like is when i park my car on the street, some people seem to get extremely close to the car when they are turning onto the street itself. :(

14. Adele

Adele Well-Known Member

Used to live in a T-Junction house. House was originally renovated by my parents for my grandmother and aunts to live in (rent free). Last minute they decided not to, because they were worried that house was bad luck (someone committed suicide there). I ended up paying for reno and moving in as I am not superstitious. I did not get any 'bad luck' from it. In fact, the best 3 years of doing business in our 10 year history was while living in that house.

I have also lived in an apartment numbered 4 on the 4th level #04-04. My parents did have a little trouble selling it because of its inauspiciousness, although they did buy it at a slight discount in the first place.

T-junctions are one of the better known feng shui no-nos. I recently had someone count the number of steps on the staircase of a property my parents are selling. How bizarre is that.

15. magma

magma Active Member

My friend's house have been hit by vehicles at least 10 times to the point that they have converted the rear entry of their house as the main door and completely abandoned the road facing part of the house, including the bedroom closes to the road.

16. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@magma - What kind of f-up'ed drivers does your friend have in their area? :eek:

17. magma

magma Active Member

it's a main highway where long trucks turn, usually around 5am...

18. Gockie

Gockie I'm an ISTP-A female, so I might be a bit quirky! Premium Member

Wowsers...

19. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

my ppor faces a t intersection and is no 13.

20. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

And you are still surviving fine ;)